Catching Up

Dipper POV

"Where is he?" I asked again. Eliza had just given me a distant stare in response. "Is he hurt?"

"We don't...we don't have time for this. Come on!" She grabbed my wrist again and tried to yank me farther into the chasm. I pulled away immediately and stood silently. "What are you doing? Come on!"

The ground continued to pound as a huge shadow hovered over me. I turned to see a huge beak attached to a giant bird's head. Teeth perturbed from the sides of the beak.

I faced the beast with balled fists and determination. I raised a hand and muttered a quick latin phrase with a quick wrist flick. A flame blast exploded from my palm, and the beast squawked and backed away from us. My hand was still warm, so I formed a fire whip in my palm. I pulled my arm back and snapped it hard. The tip struck the beast's neck and it screeched in pain. "GET OUTTA HERE!" I screamed as it began galloping away. I snapped the whip a couple of times for good measures.

After the fire fizzled out, I turned back to Eliza. "Dude...whoa."

"Where is my grandfather?" I asked again.

Eliza was somewhat taken back by my comment. "Look...I know you brought me back, but...I don't... You don't need to see Stephen the way he is. You need to really brace yourself, man."

"Seriously, seeing you was...horrifying. I think...I think that's just because I know you and I really..." I shook my head. "I've never met Stephen. I should be fine," I said firmly. Eliza didn't look convinced, but that's okay: I wasn't too convinced myself. She hugged me tightly.

"We're twelve. This isn't fine and it never will be. We're gonna be scarred for life one way or another. I mean, we're gonna need heavy therapy when this is all over, ya know. I'm just trying to protect you from that. I don't think it can be helped at this point, really." She spoke softly into my ear, and her warmth was comforting. Eliza pulled away from me with a weak smile. "Gee, I wonder how many times we've said that," she chuckled halfheartedly.

I shrugged and kicked a small rock. "Let's not keep Stephen waiting." Eliza nodded and she led me to Stephen, which wouldn't have been so bad if we weren't following her bloody footprints. The idea of how much blood there would be was unnerving.

My only thought was that it wouldn't be as bad as Eliza. The poor girl was ripped open like...I don't even know what. Her eye was pulled from its socket and her intestines were just strung out like party streamers. It was just horrible. Blood coated everything: her clothes, her face, and that nest. The nest had to be the worst of it all; that bird had attacked her and it was saving her for later. I can't even begin to imagine how much pain she was in.

___

There was so much blood and he looked so...I don't want to talk about it.  The point is, I got him off that rock and I brought him back. He's breathing and he's responding to us, that's all that matters.

After Stephen collected himself, he turned to me with a bright smile. "You must be Dipper." He outstretched his hand to shake mine. "Stephen Esteban Pines," he said happily.

I grabbed his hand firmly and met his brown eyes with mine - a family trait. "Stephen Quincy Pines," I said proudly. "Or Dipper."

"No wonder you're so skilled at handling magic. It's all in the name," he chuckled. He then stretched out his arms for a hug. "C'mere." I took that instantly. "C'mon Eliza, get in here." And just like that, we ended up in a group hug that made me cry a little. I never thought I'd meet my grandfather.

I wish Grandma Pines had told us about him before. I understand why she didn't, I guess. Why would she want to think about her husband? The husband she loved and stood by faithfully? Having to think about what she had lost so long ago would have been dreadful. It does bother me now that I think about it; each time Mabel and I asked her about him, we were just bringing up old memories - we were just causing her pain.