Someone Like You

I am sat here with my little sister, Jenna. We are watching a movie that I hate with a passion. It's about this girl called Becca who is a college student and wanted to be a disc jockey but instead had to join an acapella group called the Barden Beccas.

"It's Barden Bellas you idiot." my sister corrected me.

"Same thing." I said popping a popcorn in my mouth.

My sister sighed and then continued on talking about Skylar Astin who is also in the movie.

"Skylar is so dreamy. He's like an adorable puppy licking your face."

"Please, I'm dreamier than that." I told her.

"Uhm, no you're not. Explains why Kylie didn't want to go out with you."

Silence.

She finally speaks up after she realized it was a sensitive topic for me. I really loved Kylie. I still do.

"I-I'm sorry Joshy." she stuttered.

I smiled.

"It's okay, Jen." I kissed her temple. I didn't want my sister to feel bad.

"Don't worry Josh. Someday you'll find a prettier girl and maybe it'll look like Anna Kendrick." my sister said.

I turned to face her with a confused look.

"Who's that?" I asked curious.

"Oh my god brother. It's Becca from the movie."

I looked at the tv and saw a girl. She is beautiful. But as if I'm gonna make her my girlfriend. The world will end before I get her.

"Yeah. She's pretty." I told my sister.

Suddenly, my dad walked in the living room.

"Jen, Josh. C'mon dinner's ready." he called out.

"Go ahead, Jen. I'll turn off the tv." 

"Okay."

Later on, I went to the kitchen and joined them in the dinner table. My dad talked about the business and talked about going to New York next week.

"New York?" I asked.

"Yeah. For a seminar. You guys think you can handle the house?"

"Yes." I told him.

After dinner, I went up to my room and checked my phone as if I had any messages. Well I did. It was from my classmate, Rick.

PARTY TONIGHT @8 EVERYBODY IS INVITED!

It's always like this. Parties everyday. I don't always go to them but tonight I had no better things to do so why not? I changed into a new shirt and khaki pants. 

When I arrived I saw drunk people making out in patio. I walked inside the house and sat on the sofa. I was just sitting there when a hand offered me a shot. I looked to see who it was. Kylie.

"Hey there Josh. Long time no talk huh?" she asked me and sat on the spot next to mine.

"Hey Kylie. Yeah, you've been uh pretty busy." 

"I'm sorry about Leo."

Why is she saying sorry? Well, let me enlighten you. You see ever since they became popular, Leo had been very rude to me. He beats me up with no exact reason. He's just changed. He calls me names and trips me at lunch which causes my food to spill. 

"It's okay. It's just sad y'know?"

'I know. Lately, I've noticed that he's changed. I see him talking to other girls and flirting with them." she said with a frown on her face.

"You deserve more. You are a very special girl Kylie. And you deserve someone who'll see that." I looked at her sincerely.

"Yeah." she looked down. "Someone like you." she added but whispered but loud enough for me to hear.

"What?"

"Nothing."

We talked and did some catching up. We've had a few drinks and Kylie was so drunk.

"Hey Josh, wanna dance?" she didn't wait for my answer and grabbed my hand and led me to the dance floor. Did I mention Leo wasn't here? He's sick. 

The song changed to, "Give me Love" by Ed Sheeran which is a slow song.

Kylie put her hands on my neck and I put mine on her waist. She smiled at me.

"You're amazing Josh."

"You're magical." we bothed laughed.

The song ended and we returned to the sofa. She kissed my cheek. I furrowed my eyebrows.

"That's for showing me a good time. I have to go home." she left and I left.

When I got home, I thought about what she said when I told her she deserves more. She said, "Someone like you" I probably was drunk. She'll never say that.

The next morning at school I was greeted by a punch in the face by Leo.

"That's for my girlfriend!" he hissed.

"Girlfriend? What?"

"He saw us Josh. He saw us last night." Kylie speaked up.

Everyone was staring at us. I had the urge to punch back but I can't. He's my ex best friend. You can't just change that. He was like my other half.

"There was nothing wrong about what we did last night. We just talked and dance."

"Just because you don't have a girlfriend and probably never will doesn't mean you can steal mine! You are a sore loser and no one will ever love you!" Leo said.

A million things were on my mind. I had to fight. I can't be embarassed by Leo again.

"I have a girlfriend too you know! I have a life." I told him.

Everyone gasped except Leo. "Oh and who is that?"

"Her name is Anna. You might know her from that movie Pitch Perfect."

Everyone bursted in fits of laughter.

"Yeah. Sure you are." Leo said.

"I am. Now get out of my way fucktard." I went to class and got weird stares. 

The day ended and I still get weird stares. Probably because of the Anna Kendrick thing.