Chapter 38

Peeta stands next to me and I release his hand. When I do though, he grabs mine again. I smile and close my eyes.
“Katniss, you did great..” He says and kisses my forehead. I open my eyes and grab his head to stop him from pulling away. I know I am covered in sweat and my breathing is already heavy, but I kiss him for a long time. I’m cut off by his laughing though.
“What’s so funny?” I ask, annoyed by the interruption.
“I was just thinking how much I love you.” He says. I smile. He sits down on the chair and we wait. He holds my hand and we talk.
“Peeta, what happened?” I ask.
“Prim, wasn’t supposed to do what she did. She was only supposed to talk about us already being married and how it will tear the family apart. But then, she must have lost her patience. She lost her nerve and started saying all those things. And when the explosion happened, I tried to get to her. Haymitch grabbed me and Rory though and we went to the roof with the others. We boarded the hovercraft and it took off. I was yelling and screaming for them to go back, but they refused. I screamed some pretty harsh things at a lot of people I didn’t even know who were helping. That’s the maddest I’ve ever been.” He says. I’m just now noticing how hoarse his voice is. From all of his screaming. I guess I was so happy to see him I didn’t notice anything else. Even with my happiness though, I look at him with tears in my eyes.
“It’ll be okay. They will save her I know they will.” I say but my voice has doubt in it. Just then, the door opens and my mother, Gale, Haymitch, and Rory all walk in. They are followed by a nurse. The nurse holds a pink blanket in her hands. I smile as the nurse brings the baby to me. As soon as she is in my hands, I start crying. Peeta is leaning over top of me and he is crying to. Not as bad as me, just a few tears. I kiss him lightly and then look at our baby girl. I smile. She already has some hair. Some dark hair like mine. It curls like Peeta’s. She has a small nose like mine as well. She very slowly opens her eyes, just a little bit, and I see a bright blue like Peeta. I smile again and I kiss the top of her head. I look at Peeta.
“Do you want to hold her?” I ask. He smiles and reaches for her. I lift her to him and he sits down on the hospital bed. He already looks like the prefect father. He holds her with such protection, but such gentleness. I smile at him. He looks at me.
“Katniss, she is perfect. What do you want to name her?” He asks. I never actually thought about names. I didn’t want to focus on that. I only focused on the Quell and how I was prepared to volunteer to keep Prim out of those Games. Was it only a few days ago?
“I’m not sure Peeta, what do you think?” I ask him. He thinks for a moment and then looks back at her.
“She looks like a Layla to me. What do you think?” He asks. Layla. The name is defiantly unique and it’s very pretty. And since Peeta wanted a child more than me, I’m up for whatever he wants. I lean up in my bed, despite the pain, and reach over to grab his hand.
“It’s perfect. Just like her. And just like you.” I say and he leans over and kisses me. He still holds Layla in his arms and someone takes a picture. Ugh. Here too? Really? I pull away from Peeta and look at Layla.
“Can her middle name be Primrose?” I ask him. He smiles.
“Of course.” He says and then turns to the everyone else who I completely were still her until now. “Layla Primrose Mellark everyone!” He exclaims and they all start clapping. Even Gale. Everyone takes a turn holding Layla and when it finally gets to me again, people start leaving. It’s only Me, Peeta, and Layla left. I look at Peeta with tears in my eyes as reality hits me yet again.
“What if she never gets to hold her?” I ask because Peeta will know exactly who I am talking about. He kisses me very gentle and then talks.
“Prim will get to see Layla. Prim will be able to hold her and love her just like we are. Okay? I promise.” He says. I move over in my bed and Peeta climbs in with me and Layla. The nurse comes in after a while and takes Layla. I don’t want to give her up, but I want her to be safe. Peeta carefully wraps his arms around me and we fall asleep. I fall asleep thinking of Aunt Prim holding Layla. I can see Prim playing with her and hugging her and kissing her and teaching her things like how to count and things doctors know. I can see Aunt Prim holding Layla when she is scared or taking care of her when she is sick. Those are my dreams. Aunt Prim.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Thank you to everyone who read! I will be starting the next book soon! What if Katniss Didn't Volunteer: Mockingjay. Look for updates to find out what happens to Prim and what happens to Layla, Katniss, Peeta, Finnick, and everyone else! More shocks and more cliff hangers are on the way! :D