Chapter 23

Effie takes us into the Justice Hall and Rory grabs me. He doesn’t let go but I’m mad at him. I almost scream at him.
“Why Rory! Why would you want to go in with me? I could have made it back to you and you just ruined that chance!” I’m in tears and I pull away from him.
“I couldn’t help being picked Prim.” He says.
“You would have taken my spot anyway if you could! Then you would die because you can’t handle the arena Rory! You don’t know what it does to you! I’ve already been through it so it can’t affect me much now anyway! We will both be broken until one of us dies! Or both of us! WHY!?” I scream with tears rolling down my face. I’m never this mad, but I could have made it back to him.
“Prim, I couldn’t volunteer and I was picked. It would have been you anyway since Rosemary couldn’t go in. I wouldn’t let her go in if she tried to volunteer. Prim, it has to be this way. It is this way. We will just have to make the most out of it.” He says calmly. I have been screaming at him and making him feel bad and he has done nothing but try to comfort me. I feel horrible now.
“Rory, I’m so sorry. I just don’t want to lose you. But it’s too late for that.” I say and I put my arms around him. I’m still crying and his shirt gets stained from all of my tears.
“I know Prim, I know. I don’t want to lose you either. That’s why I’m not going to.” He says. I look at him confused.
“What do you mean?” I ask him.
“I’m going to get you out of the arena alive. You’re going to lose me. I’m so sorry you have to, but it has to happen.” He says.
“NO! You come back here and live your life! I can’t take your life like that!” I say crying again. He shakes his head and opens his mouth to say something, but Effie chimes in.
“You need to go to your rooms you two. But, I’m going to let you go in the same room. Everyone who is coming to see you is going to see the other one anyway.” She says and I could just kiss her right now. She leads us to the room and we sit down. We cry. Both of us. We keep crying until the first people walk in, which is actually everyone. I hope we get more than 15 minutes because there are too many people to get through in 15 short minutes. Katniss comes to me with Peeta and Gale goes to Rory. I hear Gale say to Rory.
“I have done nothing my whole life but protect you from this, and you still go in. You even volunteer.” Then I stop listening and look at Katniss.
“You don’t know how familiar this feels right now. Other than Peeta being here. Hearing your name, darkness, waking to see you have left, coming here. How am I going to protect a baby when I can’t even protect my little sister. I’m so sorry Prim.” That’s all she seems to have to say. A Peacekeeper comes in and I think they are going to have to go already, but he is collecting Peeta and Haymitch. They have to go to the train.
“Wait! Let me talk to them!” I hear Peeta and Haymitch yell at the same time and the Peacekeeper backs off. Haymitch walks over.
“Prim, we will talk more on the train, but I had to talk to you now. You are going to be okay. I don’t care what happened, you are getting back okay sweetheart?” He stands up without letting me answer and walks out. Peeta looks at me.
“I… I will um… talk to you on the train.” He says and walks out. I have never seen that before. Peeta Mellark has lost his words. Rosemary comes.
“Prim! Why didn’t you let me volunteer? I don’t want you to go back in there! Why Prim!” She says while crying.
“Rose, I couldn’t let you. I’m the reason you were in danger to begin with. I couldn’t let you.” I say starting to get a blurred vision from tears. I hug her we just sit there. We have been friends for a long time. We have been through so much together and we know each other’s secrets. She is like my sister. Katniss is my sister and I couldn’t let her go in, so I couldn’t let Rose go in either. I break away from her and see Madge in tears.
“I’m so sorry Prim. I want you to fight hard honey. We will miss you and we hope to see you again.” She says. She talks really soft so Rory can’t hear.
“Thank you Madge.” I say. She barely talked to me, always to Katniss, but she must actually care a little. Peeta’s brothers come over and say goodbye, then leave. I haven’t really talked to them anyway. My mother walks over.
“Here, you need this for good luck. You wore it last year.” She said handing me the bracelet Katniss gave me two days before the Reaping last year. It still had its little mockingjay on it. I put it on and hugged her.
“Mom, we have fought many times, but you know I love you right? I love you with all my heart mom. Please don’t miss me too much. Be there for Katniss and my niece. Be there for them.” I say. She starts crying but only hugs me tighter. The door opens and there is a Peacekeeper.
“Anyone other than immediate family needs to leave.” He said harshly. Everyone but Gale, Katniss, my mother, and Rory’s brother, sister, and mother leave. I didn’t realize they came in. I take Rory’s hand and no one speaks. Gale, of all people, breaks the silence.
“You two be safe. And know this one thing. Prim, I was jealous of Peeta and Katniss and that’s why I didn’t let you see Rory. But, I hope all can be forgiven. I’m very, truly sorry and I feel horrible that I didn’t let you spend those two months before the tour with him. I still think of you like my sister and I still love you both. Know that I am okay with whatever now.” He says with actual tears in his eyes. I get up and hug him.
“Gale, you’re like my big brother. Thank you so much.” I say, tear spilling. I can’t believe how much we have all cried today, but I guess that makes sense since we are going to be slaughtered. I let go and look at Katniss again.
“Prim, you are my only sister. I love you. I want you to meet your niece though. Please, do what you can to get home. I’m sorry I’m not being strong as strong for you as I should be, but I still love you and I will pray and hope every minute you are there to come back to me. You have already done this once, do it again Little Duck.” She says and kisses my forehead.
“Katniss, will you sing to me?” I ask hugging her tight. She nods.
Deep in the Meadow. Under the Willow.
A bed of Grass. A soft green pillow.
I love it when she sings, but this is what I sang to Rue as she died. Too many bad memories, but Katniss seems to wipe all of that away. I sing with her.
Lay down your head. And close your eyes.
And when again they open. The sun will rise.
Here it is safe. Here it is warm.
Here the daisy’s guard. You from every harm.
Here your dreams are sweet. And tomorrow brings them true.
We both sing the last line in a perfect pitch.
Here is the place, where I love you.
Silence. No one talks. No one even breathes. I put my arms around Katniss and she does the same.
“I love you Katniss.” I say.
“I love you too Prim.” She says back. The door busts open and the peacekeeper is back. He looks impatient.
“Times up.” He says harshly. I scream as they are all being pulled away.
“No! Katniss no!” I yell but they won’t listen. The door shuts again and I remember I’m not alone. I wipe the tears from my eyes and turn around to see him. He opens his arms and I go right into them. I could think of no other place I would want to be than in Rory’s arms. Well, maybe Katniss’s.