Chapter 10

We walk back with our things through the double doors we entered in. Haymitch and Effie surround us. Effie is smiling, and Haymitch’s lips are starting to curve into one as well.
“That was great. You two were excellent!!” Effie tells us. Haymitch nods in agreement. I smile.
“I was so nervous though.” I tell them. Peeta puts an arm on my shoulder.
“But you didn’t use the card. That all came from the heart.” He says. I smile.
“Well, come along. We have a schedule you know. Time to go to the dinner!” Effie exclaims. She is so happy. We walk through some mazes and end up before a giant door. I can hear people behind it and I can smell the food.
“Okay now. You two will go out together, last. Wait until I’m 15 steps ahead and then walk out. Okay?” She says. We nod. Everyone starts walking out and Effie counts 15 feet until it’s her turn. She is smiling and waving as the crowd cheers. Then, after 15 feet, we walk out. Everyone starts cheering and yelling our names. I know they aren’t actually excited, but they are fairly good actors. We walk down the aisle that has been cleared for us. We wave and smile and I blow kisses. We walk to the end where there is a giant table of food. Actually, several giant tables of food. Everything looks so good! When the mayor is done talking, we load our plates. The food is so delicious coming from a District.
“How do you like the food Peeta?” I ask him when he finishes a glass of water.
“It’s amazing. Almost as good as the Capitol food.” He says. He reaches for his glass and asks for a refill. Just then, a really fast song comes on over the speaker.
“Hey Prim, did you ever learn the District Dance?” Peeta asks me smiling.
“Yeah, Katniss taught me when I was younger. Why? I ask him.
“Come on.” He says, walks toward the dance floor. I follow him and he turns toward me. Everyone makes room and I see some cameramen turning on their things. Peeta grabs both of my hands and we start dancing really fast.
*Stomp, stomp, kick. Stomp, stomp, kick. Stomp, stomp, spin! Stomp, stomp, kick. Stomp, stomp, kick. Stomp, stomp, slide to the right, slide back to the left. Release hands, girl twirls stomp kick slide.* It’s a very simple dance, but everyone is getting a kick out of it. I hope Katniss is at home watching. We loved dancing to this when we were younger and father was still alive. He used to take turns dancing with us. A reporter came over just then and started asking questions.
“Where did you two learn to dance like that?” He asks us.
“I learned at school.” Peeta says.
“I learned from my sister, Katniss.” I tell them. He hurries to write that down. We are left alone after that to wonder around the hall. We walk and talk, mainly about Katniss in case anyone hears, and receive congratulations from people we don’t know. That’s how the whole tour is though. We go to the District, get awards and say a speech, have a dinner with the officials of that District. Then Effie finds us and takes us to the train where we take off for the next District. This repeats the whole time. The district I really love is District 4. We get to walk down by the ocean and it’s just so pretty. I actually see some kind of animals and Peeta tells me they are dolphins. I wish we had dolphins in our Districts. Our last stop before home is the Capitol. We go to our old apartment and that’s where we stay. We have dinner and head down stairs to the interviews with Ceaser. It’s not as scary as last time. I’m glad for that. We sit out on stage and Ceaser asks us questions. We do our best to refer everything back to Katniss, but sometimes that just isn’t possible.
“So, what have you and Katniss been up to since you got back home Peeta? We all saw the picture of your home coming.” Ceaser asks.
“We have almost never left each other’s side. I have been spending every single minute I possibly can with her.” He tells Ceaser.
“And when he isn’t, I actually get to spend time with her.” I chime in. Everyone in the audience laughs. I allow myself a smile.
“So Peeta, we also saw the pictures of a young man with black hair at the home coming. Care to tell us who that is?” Ceaser asks.
“His family and the Everdeen’s have known each other for, what? 5 Years Prim?” Peeta says and turns to look at me.
“Yes, around the time both of our fathers died.” I say and get a sigh of sadness from Ceaser and the audience.
“Well, I’m sure he would be very proud of you Prim.” He says to me. I smile.
“Peeta, I have one more question before the dinner starts. What are your plans with Katniss, in the near future?” Ah, this one is one of those personal questions. I wonder what the answer will be.
“Well, I don’t really want to say anything right now. But um, come here.” Peeta leans over and whispers into his ear. What are they saying? Ceaser leans back.
“Ah, I see. Well, best of luck Peeta. And Prim, I hope you and Peeta enjoy yourself at the dinner tonight.” We smile and he turns to the camera. “That’s all for tonight. Stay tuned tomorrow night?” Ceaser asks looking at Peeta. Peeta nods his head. Ceaser smiles. “Stay tuned tomorrow night to find out what Peeta Mellark whispered in my ear!” He says signing off. We stand and walk toward the exit. We get there and everyone is waiting for us. We go to the President’s mansion.