Chapter 31

** Prim’s POV**
            Getting ready for the interviews are horrible. Just as they were last year. More dresses and more shoes and more questions and more everything because it has to be 100% perfect. I don’t talk much with Effie. It will only make it harder when we have to leave. I talk to Haymitch and Peeta though because they are the lifeline in these Games coming up. We have to figure out how to work together and they are going to be working with Finnick and Mag’s mentors as well since we teamed up. Rory was with me when I told Finnick and he was all excited. But he didn’t want anyone to know about the alliance, so we haven’t told anyone but Haymitch and Peeta. My thoughts are interrupted by – surprise, surprise- Effie talking in her high pitched Capitol voice.
“Prim, how long have we been working?” She asks. I look at the clock and it read 9:54 a.m.  We haven’t even been working for an hour. I sit on my bed and let out a sigh. I hate this.
“Prim, we are done.” Effie says. I look at her confused since I’m supposed to work with her for 4 hours. She just slightly shakes her head and walks out. I’m left there by myself. What am I supposed to do now? I have to wait to work with Haymitch when Rory is done. 3 hours to do nothing. Great. More time for thinking and getting myself upset and crying. And planning. I need to start working out a plan to get Rory back home. But what? How am I supposed to make a plan for him to get home exactly? Where do I start. DUH! You idiot. You already got a low training score, now work with the interviews. What can you do to make him look better? It won’t take much really. He is so much better looking and a lot smoother with words. Maybe if I make myself look weak. But then what about the sponsors? What about the sponsors that not only Rory and I need, but the sponsors that can provide for Finnick and Mags. I can’t make them look bad either. That’s not fair to them when I will be trying to get them killed so Rory can go home. But when are things in this life fair. This is all so confusing. I don’t want to think about it. I go to stand up, but I find something in my hand. I look down and see another hand. Rory is sitting on the bed next to me.
“Hey, you decided to notice me.” He says.
“When did you come in?” I ask.
“When Effie told me we didn’t have to work today. She said we have the entire day to ourselves. Just us.” He says smiling. I can’t smile at him though. It’s almost impossible. I just look at him as his eyes pierce though mine. I know he is holding on to the same hope I am. He hopes I get home and I hope he gets home. But, I’m positive that this year Snow won’t let us both go. I love Rory, but I can’t stay with him right now. Not with what we are about to go through. I let go of his hand and I go into the bathroom. I sit there for a moment and wait. Rory knocks at the door very softly.
“Prim? Are you okay?” He asks quietly.
“Rory, please go.” I say.
“What? Go where?” He asks. Already this is breaking my heart.
“Go to your room, the living room, the roof, I don’t care. Go anywhere but here.” I say calmly though the bathroom door.
“Prim, why?” He asks softly and I can hear the hurt in his voice.
“Because Rory! Just go now!” I yell and every word hurts. I sit there in the silence and I hold back my tears. I hear a movement and a door close. I sit there. What did I just do? What is that going to accomplish? I can’t be with him right now though. It will only make things harder. I can’t do this. I finally break down and start crying my eyes out. I can’t do this. I can’t be with Rory. I can’t. I grab a tissue and blow my nose. I wash my face so it doesn’t look as red. I take a deep breath and look at my eyes in the mirror. I force myself to say it.
“Stay as far away from him as possible. Until the arena.”