Chapter 24

We get on the train and the rest is a blur. I remember eating dinner with everyone and waking up in my bed. I looked at the clock and it read 2:57 a.m. I got out of bed because I knew I wouldn’t be able to sleep. I opened my door and walked down to the sitting room. I ordered a drink and found a blanket. I sat down and waited for my drink, and someone came in. It was Peeta. He ordered a drink as well and sat down with me. I gave him some of my blanket and the man came in with our drinks. We just sat there. Neither of us knowing what to say really. I needed to talk to him though. I broke the silence.
“Peeta I’m sorry.” I say softly.
“Why are you sorry Prim?” He asked.
“You did everything last year to protect me. You did everything to make sure I got back home to Katniss and I ruined it all. I’m really sorry.” I say starting to tear up. Peeta puts his drink down and wraps his arms around me. He gives me a hug while I cry. Not as comforting as Katniss, but it’s better than nothing.
“Prim, this is the Capitol’s doing. You have nothing to be sorry about. Don’t think this is your fault in anyway. If I would have died last year, none of this would be happening.” He says. He’s not looking for attention either. He honestly believes things would have been better if he didn’t make it back.
“Peeta, if you didn’t come back things would have been worse. Katniss is so happy with you. She is doing 2 things she swore on her life she would never do. She is only doing them because she is with you. You have been very good to her and I’m nothing but grateful you made it back.” I say.
“Prim, we don’t need to talk about this now. What we need to talk about-” He says but is cut off by someone entering the room. I look up and see Rory. Peeta lets go of his hug and I stand up. Rory opens his arms for me again and I don’t hesitate. I wrap my arms around him and I don’t want to let go. Rory buries his face deep into my hair and I grip his shirt even tighter. I never want to let go of him. Everything feels safer, yet, at the same time, dangerous. Because the fact he is here, it means the death of one of us. I can only pray and hope that it’s me and he comes back. I pull away from him and we sit down. I hold his hand for dear life, and turn back to Peeta.
“Sorry Peeta, what were you saying Peeta?” I ask him.
“Uh, just. Nothing. Why don’t you two go to bed and we will talk in the morning. Okay?” He asks. We nod and go for my room. When we get there, Rory lets go of my hand and kisses my cheek.
“Goodnight Prim.” He says. He walks down the hall and into his bedroom. I sigh and go into my room. Tomorrow, I’m going to be at the Capitol. I will be there when I wake up and then the tribute parade. I don’t even want to think of it. I lay my head on my pillow and cry myself to sleep.