Chapter 6

We pull apart and act like we were talking again. Peeta and Katniss come from around the corner. Katniss already kind of knows about us and Peeta knows completely. I grab Rory’s hand. They come back to us laughing about something and sit down across from us.
“Hey, you two are missing dinner.” Says Peeta. “Why don’t you come in and have something to eat. It’s been a long hard day and you have to be starving.”
“Actually, I’m not allowed to stay. No one even knows I’m here and Gale will come looking.” Rory says. He stands up but I still have his hand. I rise as well.
“I’ll be right back guys.” I tell Katniss and Peeta. They smile at each other. Rory and I walk to the front of my house and stop at the step.
“When will I see you again Prim? Gale will probably keep me away.” He looks sad.
“Well, I did shout at him today. I feel really bad, but if I didn’t say anything there would have been a fight. I’m sorry.” I tell him.
“Gale is a jealous fool. He has tons of girls begging to have him and he has to go after the one girl that doesn’t want him.” He says. That’s a bit harsh, but I agree. “Can I come over tomorrow night? I think Gale works.” He says. I nod. This time we get our full conversation from earlier. I lean in and stand on my tip toes. He bends down and grabs my waist. He pulls me close and kisses me. I liked the kiss earlier, but this one feels… Different. I’m not sure what it is. I find the first opportunity to pull away and I do. I can see his sad expression that it didn’t last long. I lean in one more time for a 5 second kiss, than smile at him.
“See you tomorrow.” I say to him.
He smiles, but not whole-heartily. “Bye Prim” He says in a different tone. Maybe he felt the same thing I felt. The difference between our kiss earlier and now. I walk back around the side of the house to see Peeta and Katniss holding hands. They are smiling at each other.
“I’m back.” I say. I don’t sound like my normal self, even I catch it. They stop smiling and look at me.
“What’s wrong Prim?” Peeta asks me.
“I just… Nothing.” I say. Katniss doesn’t buy it and I shouldn’t expect her to.
“Peeta, can I have a minute with Prim?” She asks. Peeta nods and goes inside.
“Prim, what’s wrong? What happened?” She asks, coming over to sit by me.
“I just, I don’t know about me and Rory. I don’t feel right because he is Gale’s little brother and with everything that happened earlier today, I don’t know if it’s okay.” I tell her. She puts both arms around me and gives me a squeeze.
“Prim, don’t worry about Gale. It doesn’t matter what he thinks. The only thing that matters is that you’re happy. Just ignore him. That’s what I’m doing.” She says.
“But Katniss, you are his best friend. How can you ignore him?” I ask.
“Well, two things. One, I love Peeta. I have for a very long time now and I’m finally able to be with him. Second, Peeta told me about Snow so I need to be with you two every second!” She tells me. I smile because that means I get to spend more time with her.
“By the way, Peeta told me there are some camera men coming tomorrow to take pictures. Did you know that?” She asks. I shake my head no. “Well, we are going to be going to the meadow to pick flowers while they are here. Give them things to talk about.” She tells me. She kisses my head and says, “Come on, we are about to have dessert.”
I feel much better, and walk in with her. We sat at the table and all had a piece of cake and pie. My mother’s pie was good, but nothing compared to Peeta’s cake. It had a whipped frosting. Chocolate. And something cold and sweet in the middle. He called it ice-cream. It was so good. When we were done with dinner, I walked upstairs to my room. I took a shower and got in bed. I was beat. A few minutes later, I heard Katniss come up with Peeta. They went into her room. Peeta has stayed with her every night since we got back. Apparently she has had a lot of bad nightmares since I left and Peeta comforts her. My mother didn’t know if she should allow it at first, but decided to as long as they kept the door open and Peeta had to leave in the morning. That was never the case. They left the door open but Peeta stayed all morning until he had to go to the Bakery. Katniss always walked him there and hung out with him until his mother came. She hated Katniss, and had no respect for her so she didn’t like to stay and get screamed at. We all went to bed.