Chapter 2: A Chance To Come Up For Air

They guys didn't stay for much longer because I didn't make it very obvious that they were welcome, because, to be quite honest, one of them wasn't.

Alex wouldn't be the first one to mention leaving and I knew it so it was up to Zack or Rian to bring up a reason to go. I thought about texting one of them but I decided against it because they might say something to Alex when they leave. I didn't want that.

So instead I stood up and went into the kitchen without saying a word, but fiercely glaring at Rian and trying to mentally tell him to follow. A few moments after I entered the kitchen I heard him say something about going to see if I was okay with everything.

I leaned back against the counter nervously. I didn't actually know what I planned to say to him, because I didn't think about it. I couldn't just tell him to leave, and I couldn't tell him why I wanted them to leave.

"What do you want?" Rian asked as he came into the kitchen.

I just shrugged.

He looked at me for a moment, "Jack are you alright? Like really? Because I haven't seen you in weeks and now you're acting like this... Did we do something? Did I?"

I shook my head, "No, not you."

"Is it Alex? Because he's been acting weird himself. What's going on with you too?"

"It's not important," I lied, "I'm just on my dude period."

"That's not a thing, Jack."

"You sure?"

He paused, "Um... Yes?"

I sent him a small smile, "I'm fine. I just need sometime to get my shit back together before we go back into the studio again."

Rian nodded, "I get it. We just miss you buddy."

"I miss you guys too," I stated and it wasn't a lie. I really did miss them. I even missed Alex if truth be told. I just couldn't look at him without thinking of what he did.

"I think we'll probably get out of here soon and leave you too it."

I nodded, "Thanks man."

He started towards the living room but looked back at me with a smile, "Oh and Jack, please shower."

I stuck my tongue out at him and pushed off the counter, "Asshole."

"Least I don't smell like one."

"Shut up," I said as we rejoined Zack and Alex in the living room.

"Hey guys, we should probably go," Rian said to them, "Jack's gotta take a shower and we have to go get food."

Alex nodded but it was Zack who spoke to me, "We could wait for you, if you want."

I shrugged, "I have a pizza on the way."

"Oh ok," he muttered, "Well see you soon, dude."

"Yeah, see you." I said as they all stood up and made their way to the door. Alex kept looking at me but I tried not to look back. "I'll walk you guys to the elevator."

We walked down the hallway in silence. Rian pushed the button for the elevator and it sprung open seconds later. I waved them off as they walked in. Alex turned back at me and finally caught my eye and he looked at me apologetically. He probably hated himself.

And you know, I almost felt back for him. Almost.