We Won't Work

Clara sat in bed, her eyes on a tablet infront of her when Steve quietly walked in. He had waited a week to go see her and he was still angry at her stupidity. Clara had asked for him and repeatedly mention him when she was talking to over people in the group, but he had kept his distance from her.

Steve's eyes widened a bit when he walked into her hospital room. She looked so different now that her hair was so short (Bruce had mentioned something about her hair behind so clumped together because of all that blood that they had to just chop it off) and she was so bandaged up. But he was still pissed at her. In the back of his mind there was a voice nagging at him, telling him that Clara was nothing like her.

Clara turned to him, a smile on her face, "It may look bad, but I think you can still paint me like one of your French girls." She smirked, but it soon faded when she say his stotic face. "It's a refrence to a movie...I'll show it you sometime. It stars Leonardo Never-Won-An-Oscar."

"Clara, do you honestly think this is the time to be making jokes?" He inquired, anger showing on his features.

"Tough crowd." She murmured softly and looked up, staring into his eyes, "What took you so long to come?"

"You know why I haven't visited, Clara." He responded and she frowned, looking at her hands. Why couldn't he just understand that she had to do it?

"Then why did you come now? You are obviously still pissed at me." Clara's voice was cold already.

"Romanoff said I should." He grunted. Clara scoffed, slowly growing pissed off as well.

"How sweet to know you were forced to come visit me." She responded and Steve clenched his jaw. "And don't give me that "I am pissed at you because you did something reckless" bullshit, Rogers."

"Well what do you want me to then, Stark?" He snapped, glaring at her. She glared right back at him. The room dropped in temperature.

"Well you could've came to visit me after you found out I wasn't fucking dead." She snapped back. "Or just not have been a whole dick over what I did when you came in. I know taking Jace on by myself was stupid but I had to do it. Yo-You just don't understand, Rogers. I had to do it."

"No you didn't! You could've just did the mission like we planned!" He turned and walked towards a table. He was bubbling with anger and rage. Clara rolled her eyes.

"Sorry to break to you, but I really don't follow orders. And you know that I don't. I'm not a solider anymore." She growled, growing pissed off. Clara got off the bed, holding onto her IV. Steve chuckled lowly, turning to look at her. He had finally been pushed over the edge.

"You know, I thought you were different from your brother, but I was wrong." He growled back. Clara's nails dug into her skin, drawing blood. "You are just like him. Only out for each other. Howard was so much different from you both. He and Peggy they actually helped the world. Howard did what was right and Peggy was nice and followed orders when she was given them." He knew the last ones weren't totally true, but he couldn't stop what was coming out of his mouth. Everything he said was in heat in the moment, but it was all true in a way.

That struck a nerve within Clara and she quickly fired back at him, "I'm so fucking sorry I'm not like them!" She practically screamed, "I can't be Peggy and I can't be Dad!"

Steve stepped back, turning his head away. His hands balled up into fists. He didn't see the tears flow out of her eyes. "No you can't." Steve said quietly, but loud enough for her to hear it. Clara let the tears run down her cheeks and lean against the wall for some support. She turned her head away from him. Silence settled over the room for a moment. Clara's heart felt heavy in her chest.

"I...I never knew you felt that way." Her voice trembled, and she looked at him. "This...this won't work. It was never meant to work. I don't know why I thought it would. Clearly, I was wrong. I want you out of my life. I...I never want to see you again, Steve."

He turned his head to look at her, his glare softening and his angry look fading, "Wh-What?" He stammered. She stared back at him and the room grew colder.

"You heard me. We, me and you, are done. I can't continue a relationship with someone who expects me to be someone else, Rogers. I can't. Not now. Not ever." More tears rolled down her face, "So just leave. And you know what, you can go fuck yourself."

"Clara, wait-" He moved towards her, and she moved back.

"Steve get out!" She snapped, "Don't you understand? Leave! Get the fuck out!" He stood there for a moment, thinking about what she just said, but it just made her much more angry. In a burst of rage, she grabbed a nearby vase of flowers that Tony had got her and threw it at the wall next to his head. Steve was finally brought out of his daze and he looked at her one last time before leaving the room.