Chapter 17: Christmas Break-Hermione

It was time for Hermione to say goodbye to Ron and Harry, and go home to her mother and father. She had given their presents to Professor McGonagall; she promised to set them under the tree for her. Hermione's trunk was already packed and ready to go. She boarded the train and it left the station. She thought she saw someone wave to her when she pulled away, but when she looked again, there was no one there.

She sighed. She had hoped that Romeo would be sending her a present, because she had one for him. She smiled as she thought about his face as he would open it. It was a watch with a photo of her in it. It was a good one too. She was smelling a red rose, and the photo was a magic moving one, so she looked up and smiled at him every time.

On the back it was engraved with:

Our love is powerful and true

I love you so much!

-Hermione

She was hoping that it wasn't too bold for his taste. She remembered that things between her and him were a little shaky after what had happened at the match, but she had gotten over it. She hadn't sent Romeo a reply, but there was just no way to summon the owl and give him a letter to take back to him. She was sad that she wouldn't be spending it with them, but it'll mean the world to her when he sends her his gift.

Hermione tilted her head back and fell asleep.

Hermione was greeted by her father at the station, he did not seem to thrilled to see her. She smiled brightly at her father. "Hi, Daddy!" she exclaimed brightly. He mumbled a hello and carried Hermione's trunk to the car outside. She followed her dad and saw that her mother was not in the car. "Where's Mum?"

He threw her trunk in the back seat, and turned to face her. "She's out of town...on business," he told her.

"Mum's on business? During Christmas? But I'm only here for a few weeks...when is she coming home?" she asked him. They got into the car, and Daniel started the car and drove them from the parking lot.

"I don't know really. She said to send you her love. Her presents are already wrapped and under the tree for you. Also, I wrote to your headmaster and someone from the school will be picking you up on Christmas day around five. I have some business to attend to, and I figured that I could just send you back to school after we celebrate Christmas," he replied.

Hermione's eyes grew huge. "But that isn't even a week!" she exclaimed. Her father shrugged his shoulders.

"I'm sorry, dear, but your mother and I have a lot of work to do."

"But you guys are dentists! What kind of work could you guys possibly have to do?!"

"Do not raise your voice to me, young lady. It is not my fault that your mother and I have a lot of meetings to go to."

Hermione slumped down in her seat.

The short time with her father passed quickly. On Christmas Day, there was a knock at the door. Daniel answered it and he froze.

Hermione heard him gasp. "Severus?! What are you doing here?" he asked surprised. Hermione snuck down the stairs and leaned against the banister, unseen to them.

"Professor Dumbledore has sent me here to bring Miss Granger back to Hogwarts," he said simply. Hermione wrapped her arms around her knees, and sat very still. Her father seemed all too surprised that Professor Snape was her teacher.

"Are you telling me that you are a teacher at her school?" her father asked fiercely. Hermione dared to sneak a peek. Her father was so close to Snape's face. Snape's eyes looked in her direction, Hermione jumped back, hurting her back against the wooden stair.

"Yes, Daniel, I am. Believe it or not, I have changed since those many years ago...when we were still friends." he said quietly. Hermione was expecting a flaming burst of rage to burst from him. She could hear her father's breathing getting heavier, and then his breathing began to slow down.

"Have you now? Well, that's just great, Severus!" he exclaimed proudly. "Isabella would be happy to hear that."

"Is she here now?" she heard him ask.

"No she's.....away on business and she will not be back until....later into the year," he said. Snape sighed.

"May I come in?" he asked. Hermione heard her father move aside and close the door behind him.

"I'll go put the kettle on," she heard her father say as he went into the kitchen. Suddenly, Snape appeared at the bottom of the stairs.

"Hello, Miss Granger, Happy Christmas," he said kindly. Hermione nodded her head.

"Happy Christmas to you to, sir," she said quietly.

"Are you going to come down?" he asked. Hermione shook her head. She did not want to interrupt their "reunion." She rose from her seat, flattened her skirt, and went back up to her room. She closed the door behind her and she sat on her bed. There was a knock at her door. Snape slowly eased open the door, and he entered in carefully.

"Are you alright?" he asked her. Hermione looked up at him and nodded her head. Snape closed her door and sat beside Hermione on her pink covered bed. The bed shifted with his added weight. "Miss Granger, do you not want to go back to Hogwarts?" Her eyes began to fill with tears.

"I miss her so much!" she said as she began to sob. Snape rubbed her back gently as she cried.

"Your mother?" he asked. She nodded her head as she cried a little bit more. Snape scooped Hermione into his arms and sat her on his lap. He held her there and tried to calm her down. "Shhh, Hermione. Everything's okay. Your mother loves you very much, dear," he told her. Hermione rested her head against his chest as she cried. She knew that what was happening was not a regular thing between a teacher and a student.

Severus pulled away from her and wiped her tears from her cheeks. "You will be alright, Hermione," he said sweetly. There came the sound of footsteps and Severus sat Hermione back down on her bed. He scooted away and Daniel opened the door.

He smiled at them. "Hey, you two, it's time to open presents, and, Hermione, there's an owl sitting on the window sill. There's a present with it for you," he said. Severus looked at Hermione. Her smile was huge and brilliant.