Chapter 5: Classes-Hermione

Early Monday morning, Hermione sat in the commonroom reading a book about transfiguration. There came the noise from the boys' dormitory. Harry and Ronald walked out of their dormitory, completely kept up in their conversation. They stopped in their tracks when they noticed her. They smiled at her and sat across the room, still talking loudly. Hermione went back to her book, not daring to make a noise.

It was the first day of classes and Hermione was very antsy. She had hoped that she was completely prepared for her first class. Which was transfiguration. She turned the page in her book, and she noticed Ronald staring at her again. She returned the stare. "Is there something you want?" she asked him sternly.

Ronald's face turned beet red and he turned back to Harry. "What's your first class?" Harry asked her politely. Hermione marked her page and closed her book.

"It's transfiguration. You?" she replied.

"That's our first class," he told her. She smiled and checked the clock.

"Well then I guess I will see you boys there," she said kindly.

Ronald looked at the clock as well. "You do know that we have breakfast and then class, right?" he asked her. Hermione glowered at him.

"I'm aware, but I would like to have eaten breakfast before everyone else gets there. I'm going to the library shortly after that. Like I said, I will see you boys in class," she said as she walked through the portal hole. Hermione cradled her book in her arms and stepped down the moving staircases. She reached the Great Hall. The food wasn't out yet, but Hermione didn't care. She sat down at an empty seat at her table, opened her book, and continued to read.

Shortly afterwards, the Great Hall was flooded with people. No one said a word to Hermione. Hermione looked up when she heard her name called. Harry and Ronald waved at her, huge grins on their faces. She smiled and gave a small wave back. Ronald sat down across from her and Harry sat next to her. "Did I say your name right?" he asked kindly. She nodded her head.

"Spot on actually," she answered. Harry smiled and stuck his hand out to her.

"Nice to meet you," he said. She closed her book and shook his hand. They looked at Ronald and he stuck his hand out to her also.

"I'm Ron. Ron Weasley," he said. Hermione shook his hand as well.

"It's a pleasure to meet you boys," she replied kindly. The food appeared in front of them and they served themselves. Hermione was rather enjoying her new company. She took her time eating and when she finished, she wiped her mouth, rose from her seat, and said goodbye to Ron and Harry. She left and headed for the library.

She had already found it last night, but was far too tired to have stepped inside. She waltzed into the deserted place and sat down at an empty table closet to the door. She continued to read her book. A small old woman came up to her. Hermione looked over her book to see her. "Yes?" she asked quietly. The woman leaned over, her face mere inches from Hermione's.

"Who are you? You don't look familiar," the woman said.

"I'm Hermione Granger. I'm a Gryffindor first year," she answered. The woman looked Hermione up and down and then stood. She turned and walked away to a desk by several large trays of books. She was the librarian. Hermione sighed and turned back to her studying.

Minutes later, a large bell began to chime. Hermione stood, pushed in her chair, and gathered her books. She headed for her first class on her first day. She arrived before anyone else. Even the professor.

Hermione took a seat in the front row, preparing for class. Her wand laid in front of her along with her quill, ink, parchment, and books. She sat patiently and waited for class to begin. The professor walked into the room.