Chapter 14: The Letter-Severus

Saturday morning, Severus awoke with a fever. He summoned for Minerva and within the hour she was there by his side. She told him, "You have a cold, Severus. I'll summon Madam Pompfrey for you."

He waved her off and said, "I think I will just lay in bed today."

Minerva sighed. "Is there something else, Severus?" She asked him kindly. He shook his head. "Are you okay? Did something happen last night that you didn't tell me?"

"I called her Hermione, I smiled at her, and when we were in the library...I rubbed her back. Minerva, I'm scared. I have never felt like this before. About anyone," he said his voice cracking.

Minerva smiled at him. "Severus, it's called love. You love Hermione very much...far beyond the past. You should try spending more time with her," she told him.

Severus groaned. "How do I do that?" He asked weakly. "I can't just keep giving her detentions until she feels something for me."

Minerva laughed. "Severus, you have your Romeo persona. Just tell her that you want to meet. Do it at night and she won't see your face," she said. Just then, an owl swooped over to Severus's bedside, a letter captive in its talons.

Minerva detached it and handed it to him. As Severus read Hermione's letter, he said, "You told me to wait on telling her until she was in her fourth year."

"I know, but I never said that you couldn't meet her under a veil of darkness."

He looked up at her confused. "What do you mean?"

"Wear a mask, disguise your voice. Do whatever you have to do to bring it to life. Make her fantasy a reality."

"But I'm sick."

"For goodness sake, Severus, do you plan on kissing her? All I said was to meet, not to make out."

Severus smiled at his good friend. "Not while I'm ill. I don't want her to catch my cold."

"Of course," she said. A knock came at the door. Someone walked in.

"Professor Snape? Are you here?" It was Hermione.

"In here, dear!" Minerva called. Hermione slowly entered the bedroom. In her hands, was a vase of flowers. She smiled at them.

"Hello, Professor Snape, I brought you these flowers. I thought they might make you feel better." She said. Severus smiled. She brought him flowers.

"Thank you, Miss Granger. You can set them over there," he told her. She quietly went to put the flowers down. She turned around to face them. Severus tucked the letter under his pillow.

Minerva rose from the bed and said, "I should go. Miss Granger, if you want to stay here and keep Professor Snape company. That's fine. I have to go to the Quidditch match soon. Good day to you both."

She turned around and left the room. With a close of the door she was out of the dungeons. Hermione swayed in place as she looked about the room. Severus watched her movement. He couldn't help but watch her bushy hair fall into her eyes.

She turned her head and looked at him. She blushed and looked away. "Is there something wrong, Miss Granger?" He asked her. Hermione's cheeks grew redder.

"It's just that...you're shirtless, sir," she replied. Severus looked down at his chest and he felt himself blush. He covered himself with the blanket.

"It would appear so. I'm very sorry, but I just wasn't expecting a student to come to my chambers. By the way, how did you discover that I was sick?" He told her.

Hermione blushed again. "Professor McGonagall told me that she needed to see how you were coping with your cold. I just wanted to give you something that would make you feel better."

Hermione checked her watch. "It would be time for me to go. Perhaps i will see you at the match, Professor?" She asked smiling. He nodded his head.

"May i walk you to the field?" He asked kindly. Hermione blushed again.

"Only if you will wear a shirt," she joked. They laughed. Severus hopped outta bed and ran into the bathroom to change. He was excited. He would actually be able to spend some time with Hermione.