Part 24

24. Arya

Everything moves in slow motion when Seth swings his fist at his father. I shut my eyes right before his fist connects with Mr. Smith's jaw and expect to hear the collision but I don't. Instead there's a rumble next to me and I'm shoved to the side, losing my footing and toppling over.

I am forced to open my eyes as hands grasp my shoulders and pull me from the brawl in front of me. There's Seth, pinned to the ground, trying his hardest to get a punch in but his father is holding him down, clearly being the stronger opponent despite his age.

"Stop it," I shout hysterically at the two of them but I can see in Seth's face that there's no stopping him.

"Get the fuck off me!" I can see a slight cut on Seth's cheekbone so I imagine his father probably punched him first before he got the chance.

Suddenly Seth's father picks him up by his shirt and Seth pushes against him with both hands, creating space between them. His eyes flicker towards me for a mere seconds, locating me still on the ground, mouth agape and wide-eyed. There's an apology in his eyes but they don't remain on me for too long. Soon enough they're fury-filled and back on his father.

"What do you want," Seth snaps furiously.

"What do I want? Son, I believe that my intentions are more than clear."

"Stop talking to me like I'm your fucking client!" Seth's shoulders lift and drop with every heaving breath. "I want you to tell me what you need me to do so you'll finally leave us alone. We don't want you here. We were more than happy without you!"

"How would you know that, Seth?" Now, Mr. Smith's voice raises slightly. "You were off in college with that criminal girlfriend of yours! I'm not so sure you know what has been going on here."

Seth takes another step back from his father, his forehead in a constantly furrowed state, eyes blazing. His fists now clench again.

As intrigued as I am to hear the rest of the conversation, I now realize that Seth's mother is kneeling down next to me. She must have been the one to pull me away from the brawl. The look on her face makes me want to hug her but instead I take the hand she offers me and pull myself off the ground. I look around for Paulina.

"Let's leave them to discuss this on their own," she suggests quietly, trying not to catch their attention. Seth and his father don't even notice us talking as they're still shouting at each other.

"Are you sure? What if they start fighting again?"

"They won't. Trust me..." She shakes her head and puts her hand on my upper arm. "Come."

For some reason, I trust her and leave the kitchen. I throw one last glance at Seth. He has sat back down on one of the bar stools now. His father is on the opposite side of the kitchen isle, pouring himself another drink.

"Come," his mother urges again and I follow her.

She leads me upstairs and towards one of the rooms I haven't been in. When we enter, it looks mostly like a study. It holds a few bookcases along the walls, a large glass desk with a computer and phone on top of it. There's a filing cabinet with one open drawer. Seth's mother walks straight towards it. I remain in the doorway.

Only when Seth's mother pulls one file and then another from the drawer, I follow her into the room, shutting the door behind me. When she turns back around to face me, she looks drained of all energy.

"Sit down." Her voice is barely audible but I do as I'm told and sit in the one chair behind the glass desk.

"What is this?" I nod towards the files.