Part 40 (2)

40.2 Seth

When the nurse had handed me the tiny black box out of the otherwise empty duffel bag, she wore a pleased smile that I couldn't quite read. There was a hint of knowing there – an expression of certainty maybe. One that you don't see grace the faces of people my age or younger. Still her silent approval and the feel of soft velvet against my fingers encouraged me to glance into the box. My heart swelled then and a strange sort of strangled sound escaped my throat at the thought of what would happen soon.

"You know it's the right gift, when the mere sight of it chokes you up the way this one does," the nurse had commented while simultaneously straightening out the bedsheet at my feet. I didn't mind her fussing then. My mind was preoccupied with something much more important.

Having Arya in my arms now both excites and scares me. The tiny black box hidden away in the bedside table seems to pulsate, sending shockwaves through me whenever I dare to think of it. So I distract myself. I take a deep breath, inhaling the smell of Arya's shampoo mixed with her usual fruity perfume. There's no other scent that calms me down quite like this one.

Her golden brown eyes look up at me expectantly and I know she's waiting for me to give her the present I have promised. But I can't give it to her just yet. Before I take the next step, there are things we need to talk about. Things that I don't fully understand myself. Things that I'm not sure are actually true. Nevertheless, there they are at the back of my mind.

I bend forward slightly, letting my lips rest on her forehead. As if on instinct, Arya scoots even closer to me, her body now flush against mine. Her heat wraps itself around me like the most comforting blanket one can think of. If it would be up to me, we'd stay like this forever. No matter the circumstance - just wrapped up in each other. No words.

Teenage me would probably scoff but he didn't know what love was. He thought love was something that only existed in movies, generally used to pull money out of people's pockets. Now, I'm not sure love is enough of a word to describe what I'm feeling. There should be another word to perfectly depict my relationship with Arya. One that doesn't exist yet and gets created just for the two of us.

"You're awfully quiet." Arya's voice comes out muffled against my chest and I can feel her heated breath through my shirt.

"I'm just getting lost, thinking about how much I love you." I can't help but smirk down at her. Once the words leave my mouth, she leans back and playfully slaps my chest, shaking her head.

"Have you been watching Nicholas Sparks movies without me?" I scoff. She knows that I'd never go through that torture again. After the first time watching "The Notebook" with her she somehow completely ignored the fact that I hated it and made me watch it a second time, fully convinced that everyone with a heart cries at that movie. I never did and vowed to never watch another one of those awful creations with her ever again.

"I'm just in love with you... and I'm in love with saying it, too."

A small smile plays at her full lips and I love that I have that effect on her. It somehow fills me with pride.

"I love you, too."

A few silent minutes pass and I try to gather my thoughts. I need to be careful – map out my thoughts in a way that won't overwhelm the both of us.

"Before I give you your present, there are some things we need to talk about."

Wide eyes analyze my expression before I receive a simple nod as an answer.

"My mother told me about what you've done for my family these past few days." Arya stiffens in my arms and I respond by caressing her back in circular motions. "Thank you. It's never been easy with them. I'm not quite sure what's happening with my mom and dad but I do know one thing; You were there for mom and Poppy when they needed you the most. You somehow managed to take care of them selflessly, no questions asked."