Part 29

29. Arya

Alex already has his phone pressed to his ear when he's running from the apartment. He doesn't wait for my answer because he already knows it. Yes. This is the biggest opportunity I will ever get considering that I got kicked out of college and want to work in the arts. Opportunities like these don't come by easy. I know what I have to do. I know that I have to go... Even if it means leaving Seth behind to deal with his family on his own. Even if it means potentially falling in love with a strange city and not wanting to come back to my old life. I would have to take that risk. I will take that risk.

"Hey, you okay, babe? Did he not like it? He just ran out the front door like someone running from the cops." Seth appears out of thin air beside me, sitting down on the bed next to me.

"Hmm..." I hum, staring straight ahead. As Seth strokes my back, a thousand thoughts clutter my mind.

"You're scaring me. What's going on?"

What's going on? I'm abandoning you to deal with your awful family on your own to pursue my own career selfishly. I haven't even talked to you about it yet I've already made up my mind. We'll be apart once again.

"I'm going to New York." The words come out of my mouth before the thought of easing him into the meaning behind them has even crossed my mind.

Seth stiffens beside me but he stays calm.

"When?" That's all he manages to ask, his voice strong and steady.

"Tonight," I say in a monotone voice, still staring straight ahead. Seth's hand on my back is comforting and I'm surprised it's still there. It moves slowly against the fabric of my shirt up and down my spine.

"For how long?" He scoots in front of me and forces me to make eye-contact with him by taking hold of both sides of my face.

"Just until the 23rd. I'll be back for Christmas."

"That's good." He sighs, nodding his head. His exterior clearly eases and he rests his hands on my thighs, sitting back slightly.

"You're okay with this?" I search for rebellion in his eyes but find none.

"You've already made up your mind. I don't want to fight you," he pauses. "Yes, I'm okay with this." He runs his fingers through my hair and then rests his hand on my shoulder.

"Good." I take a deep breath.

"You should start packing."

"I should."

**
As I am chucking random clothes into a bag, I decide to call Sam. Seth has locked himself in the bathroom and I'm desperate to talk to someone else about this. Also I still need a ride to the airport. Alex hadn't said anything about getting me a taxi or a driver and I have a feeling that Seth wouldn't be too happy about dropping me off. I pick up my phone and dial Sam's number. He picks up after two rings.

"Everything okay over there? My apartment still the same as I left it?" I hear someone talking in the background. A girl.

"Guess what!" I ignore his question, too excited to pay attention to his teasing. "No, wait, don't guess. I'll tell you! Your cousin is going to New York to become a superstar in the world of art!"

"No way! I have another cousin? Who is he and why have you never told me about him?" I snort and roll my eyes although he can't see that. The girl in the background chuckles and now I am curious. If he gets to tease me, I get to tease him!

"Say hello to your girlfriend from me." Sam stops laughing on the other line. "Why are you hiding her from me? I want to meet her!"

"Too bad. You're going to New York", Sam chuckles and I just shake my head, grinning. "Congratulations, by the way. That's huge. I'm very happy for you."