Part 21

21. Arya

Hip hop music blasts through Sam's car as we drive through the night. I'm exhausted enough to accept listening to it. If I close my eyes and let my mind wander, I barely hear it anyway. As soon as I drift off, every single thought is occupied with what's going to happen in the coming weeks.

"You alright over there?" Sam asks, taking his eyes off the road for a split second.

I just nod in response, leaning my head against the chilled window, my fingers clasped tightly around my phone.

"It's going to be a couple hours until we get home. You should try and get some sleep. You look exhausted." Sam always had a way with words.

"Thanks." I mutter, stifling a yawn.

He doesn't say anything else then and I am grateful. He is right, of course. I am exhausted. Not only had the past couple of weeks drained me to the core but today especially was way longer than expected. Originally the plan was to tell Seth about me leaving early, spend the rest of the night with him until Sam picked me up.

Fate had decided otherwise.

After the phone call from Axel Baumgold's secretary, I felt like I was about to explode. There was no way I could have eaten anything so Seth and I decided to go back to campus. On the way there, we had a quick stop at the beach, dipping our toes into the chilled ocean water.

"I'm going to miss you so much." Seth whispered against my neck, his arms tightly wrapped around my waist, holding me, warming me up as the chilly ocean hear hisses against us. His breath tickled my skin, sending chills down my spine.

"You have no idea." I replied, digging my naked toes into the wet sand, enjoying these last moments with the man I love before leaving him here.

He went silent then and I snuggled up against him. His breathing got heavier with each passing second and soon enough he was gasping for air. His fingers dug into my back, bunching up the material of my shirt in his hands. Automatically I led my own hands caress his back whilst nuzzling his shoulder.

"What's wrong?" I asked him, causing him to pull away from me. My arms dropped down to my sides and for a split second I thought he was mad at me, but no... the look on his face said so much more. Even remembering it now has my stomach twisting and turning.

"Would you think me to be the most egotistical person in the world if I told you that I'd rather you stay here with me than go back home to follow your dreams?" He broke out into a pained grin, leaning forwards and running his hands through his hair, leaving it perfectly messy. "Even saying it makes me hate myself!"

A somewhat hysterical laugh echoed over the ocean waves and Seth grinned down at me, making my knees weak. Waves splashed against our legs and I couldn't help but stare at the man in front of me.

"I love you and I know you don't mean that!" I answered, yelling a little because the sound of the crashing waves was drowning out my voice.

"No, but I do! I do mean that. I'm an asshole! Maybe I haven't changed after all." He strode towards me, long legs fighting against rowdy waves. A smirk was now fighting with the pretend scowl on his face.

"Oh?"

"Maybe I should just..." The closer he got, the clearer the spark in his eyes got. "Go back to my old ways and..."

He didn't finish but charged at me instead. We both crashed into the ocean full force. Where we stood the water hadn't been deep enough to engulf us both but my back side was drenched and Seth on top of me, laughing hysterically.