I Belong To Rolan!

Chapter 17

---Kiara’s POV---

The day before Austin arrived I found myself walking aimlessly through the palace. Sure I was instructed to stay with my sisters but they were all too busy talking about how great it would be once he arrived and how much her life would change as soon as she became queen. None of what they were saying interested me and besides, every five seconds they would put a pause to their conversation just to remind me that I had no business even talking to him. That didn’t bother me though because I wasn’t interested in talking to him.

I walked into a parlour without taking my actions into very much consideration and found one of the help dusting in there. He rose when he saw me but instead of greeting me like the others did he just stared. I started to feel uncomfortable so I took an uncertain step back.

“I-Is something wrong?” I asked.

He looked at me as if for the first time. “Um forgive me for staring your majesty . . .it’s just that you look very familiar . . .” He said contemplatively.

“Yes I know; I’m the lost princess from this very palace.” I said with a disappointed sigh. I was hoping he would have said something more original; something to give me more hope than that. I looked down as I turned to walk away, what had I even been expecting? Ofcourse he would say that I looked familiar because he more than likely was not present on the night they brought me here. This was probably all news to him.

“Are you sure?”

I turned with a puzzled look. “Well I’m basically sure . . . why do you ask?” I asked suspiciously.

He shrugged, now getting back to his dusting. “It’s just that you are very familiar to my memory but I just can’t place you here. I thought perhaps you might have belonged to another kingdom but that look that you just gave me does remind me of that young princess who was kidnapped while sleeping out in the meadow.” Unfortunately that did sound like something I would have done. I could vaguely remember sleeping in a meadow filled with flowers on a cool day.....

“Oh, well that’s fine. . . I guess . . .” I exited the room feeling just as hopeless as I did when I had just arrived. I really was stuck here. People could even find me in their memories . . .

I walked on some more until I got tired and made a stop off in one of the old bedrooms. I tried running my hand along the furniture. I figured maybe that might have triggered a few memories but I was still drawing a blank. I crawled unto the bed and curled into a ball. Suddenly my mind flashed back and I was lying on a bed but the room was different; everything looked different but the scenery was similar outside the window. I found myself smiling at the memory as if it was a happy one but by now I couldn’t see myself having any good memories in this place of misery. I would have preferred to go back to my family in our little refugee camp outside the town. I would be hungry, dirty and happy. Not to mention that I would have been close to Rolan. Unlike at this place where I don’t even know where north and south face. Lost would be an understatement if I had decided to run away.

Princess you need to get up if you want to walk with Daddy today. . .

Where had that voice come from . . . ? I could see a hand stretching towards me. It looked pale and velvety but that might have just been because I was seeing it through the eyes of a memory . . . I stretched my hands towards it but could only see a small hand stretched out. It had on a ring and a tiny bracelet on it that looked . . . familiar . . .

My mind wrenched away from the memory, as if forbidding me from remembering anymore. I sat up slowly and looked through the window. The trees were all still . . . where was the wind that I remembered . . . ?