The Dishonour Of A Princess

Chapter 18

The meeting went well between Prince Austin and Sidonna and the preparations began. I personally stayed out of Austin’s way because I took his threat rather seriously. The deadly glares he gave me told me that he was not one to be trifled with.

They would be hosting the engagement party by Sunday so Austin and his father would wait at the palace and his brothers would arrive on the morning of the wedding. Everyone seemed to be looking forward to it and it was all Sidonna could talk about.

Jeremy, the guy I had found cleaning yesterday, and I were walking through one of the hallways. He seemed like the only one who had enough of a head on his shoulders which made him easier to talk to.

“So why aren’t you getting all excited about the wedding?” I asked him.

He shrugged. “I’ve seen Sidonna have many engagement parties. I’m waiting until they both say I do before I get all sucked in.”

“Really? How come?”

“The guys always realized their mistake before it was too late.” He said casually. I giggled and I actually believed him.We continued walking for abit longer. It felt nice having someone to talk to. I could have sworn that I would have gone mad with the solitude. He was nowhere near Rolan on my scale but he did fit in as one of the people I considered family.

“What do you think you’re doing?” Claire demanded as we entered the other hall.

“I-I was just walking—“

“Not you, the help.” She looked at him with sharp eyes. “Don’t you have some hall to get cleaned? Why are you walking around like you live here or something?”

“I’m sorry your majesty—“

“No don’t apologize.” I said trying to sound really annoyed. I had come to realize that none of them in this palace had any respect for anyone beneath them. You couldn’t possibly expect to be like that. Being a street kid taught me that no matter what you do or where you came from everyone was equal. When we use to walk through the town people would turn up their noses as if we weren’t important but we weren’t much different from them except for the fact that we were dirty and they were clean; they were rich and we were poor.. I was so tired of seeing people being treated like dirt because of petty differences like that. I looked over at her. “I was having a conversation with him, and we were enjoying it until you showed up.” She gave me an incredulous look. I was half shocked at myself too. The only other time I had ever actually stood my ground was when I wanted them to keep Ezra. Maybe I was way out of my league here but she couldn’t talk to Jeremy like that. “Look if I’m a princess here then I must have some say in what the people who work for me do and at the moment I need entertainment because everyone is busy making preparations for our sister.” I added a sarcastic touch to the end. She glared at me.

“You know what your problem is? You’re jealous of Sidonna.”

“What . . . ?”

“Yeah, when you were wherever they found you you must have gotten all the attention but now someone besides you is being showered with the affection of a man. You had better get over yourself okay.”

“But that’s not true. . . “

“Oh yes it is. I see the way you look at Austin but you had better get your mind off him.”

“I don’t want Austin—“

“Yeah, sure.” She said rolling her eyes before she walked off.. I rolled my eyes too. She wasn’t nearly as important as she kept leading herself to believe. I turned to Jeremy and saw that he was hurt.