Too Soon . . .

Chapter 22

“Rolan will you please ceased that raucous laughter?!” Father shouted in frustrated after being forced to listen to me having a ball for what seemed like hours. I looked at him then continued laughing. This was priceless. F Father had simply listened to me and declared war on these bastards then atleast we would have had the upper hand and even if we hadn’t I would have felt better knowing that my father was behind me 100%. Now he got what he deserved; war! When I couldn’t take it anymore I fell to my knees laughing. We were going to war—I was going to kill that bastard—Father wouldn’t have been able to do anything. Well actually he could have but that would have meant  certain ruin for the kingdom and the people in it. Stop laughing? How the hell could I?

“What could you possibly find so funny? This is a real threat. We are prepared to wage war against you and in fact our armies are on standby waiting for our return.

“Same here.”

“And also at our kingdom.”

I rose quickly and, in one swift motion, pulled my dagger from my waist and held it to the throat of the closest messenger. “So you mean that they won’t march if you don’t return?” I asked with a smirk.

“Rolan!” Father scolded. He pulled me and forced me to stand at his side. “Isn’t there another way. You can have the girl I really don’t care just leave my kingdom out of it.” What?! Didn’t he learn anything from the sudden declarations of war?

“I’m afraid not.” The first messenger that wore the seal of the North Eastern Kingdom said. “My Lord is adamant that you must pay for having kidnapped his princess—“

“His princess?!” I couldn’t help but blow. He had some nerve to refer to her as ‘his’ princess. Father shot me a glared but I ignored him and continued giving them my own glare. What was he even so afraid of? They had already declared war so what was the worst that we had to fear? They would insult us then we kill them? Really what was the big deal? I was already craving bloodshed and at the moment I could swear that they were trying to force my hand. “Listen to me, go home and tell all your bloody kings that Kiara is mine and she’s not going anywhere.”

“Is that you’re finally answer?”

“No, this is.” I raised my sword after tucking my dagger back inside its case then I lifted it towards them. ‘Get the hell out of our kingdom before I send you to an earlier grave than you’re already doomed to.”

Each accepted the message immediately and without hesitation made their way out of the room. When the door slammed shut behind them Father finally exploded.

“What the hell was all that about?! He fumed. “I swear sometimes you just don’t think!”

“Think about what? Father we are officially in a war whether we like it or not. The point of grovelling is long gone. Now is when we feast and rally the troops.” I patted him on the cheek before turning to walk out. “I’ll be rallying the troops get some rest; we head out to the front line tomorrow.”

“Rolan wait.”

I stopped, hoping that he wasn’t going to lecture me for my less than desired behaviour earlier. “Yes Father?” I said turning with a forced smile. His facial expression softened.

“I’m proud of you.”

Now I was shocked. “For what?”

“For stepping up when I couldn’t. You really took charge earlier and let them know how unfazed we were by their declarations. You know what you’re fighting for . . . and you’re not afraid of the outcome.”