Across The Meadow

Chapter 19

With the setting of the sun I was forced to stop running. It was bad enough that I didn’t know where I was going but walking around aimlessly in the dark was pushing it. I had stopped in a plain that I vaguely remembered which meant that I was on the right track . . . right . . .?

I sunk to my knees trying to figure where to go from here. All I could see for what seemed like miles was nothing but land and grass going in all directions. I knew the direction I was coming from and I knew I was supposed to be headed south but that was all I knew. I hated being by myself at night when the conditions were this unfavourable. It made everything scarier. I pulled my feet up to my chest and stared out at the setting sun. As I did I tried concentrating. The sun always set in the west . . . which meant that south . . . was that way . . . At the break of day I would head off in that direction and hopefully I would find my home soon. I didn’t like being without Rolan especially now. I just wanted to through myself in his arms and cry; I wanted to begged him for forgiveness and let him know that it wasn’t my fault . . . but would he understand . . . ? A thought suddenly struck me; I was in exile. If I went back wouldn’t the King send me away again? If only those two hadn’t shown up claiming me as their child. Then again I couldn’t say that I honestly believed them. Maybe if I found proof then I would have a right to return home. But how would I find that proof? I could never go home without it. . .

I started crying. I wanted to go home and now things got even more complicated. Why did this have to happen to me? If I was just left on the street I wouldn’t have gone through any of this . . . but then I wouldn’t know Rolan and. . .and I would have lost my virginity to some guy anyway . . . in the end it didn’t matter that any of this happened to me because my life was miserable either way. Atleast with Rolan I was able to find happiness. I missed him so much.

Ugh listen to me. Was that really all I could do? Sit around wishing for things that would never materialize without own doing? Chloe was right, I did cry through everything but I had to stop. I had to be a brave girl if I ever wanted to see him again. No more shy little street kid I had to take matters into my own hands if I wanted results.

It wouldn’t be easy to change but I would have to find a way because if it was the last thing I did I was going to see Rolan again.

I fell asleep gazing up at the stars. It felt so unnatural to be sleeping outside without wind. I knew that I wasn’t used to it because in the vaguest of my memories I could see myself sitting on a man I presumed was my father’s lap looking out at a magnificent meadow with wind whipping my face. The air here was dead and I couldn’t possibly have come from here.

I woke in time to catch the sunrise above the mountains that contained this valley. I smiled as it warmed my face. I really did miss this; waking up and not be surrounding by four walls. Having the light of day as an alarm clock . . . and the fresh air filling my lungs. This was one thing that palace life could never offer. I stretched as I got up. Turning I caught a glimpse of my torn dress and felt a blow to my chest. The prince and his brothers taking their turn s with me wasn’t a dream . . .they had really violated me and more than likely they had gotten away with it as well. . . I felt some fresh tears coming to my eyes but I blinked them back. I made a promise to myself last night and I intended to keep it. In this world you couldn’t get by by being a cry-baby. I had to pull it together.

I took a few minutes to grab my bearing again then I set out but not south. I needed some answers first. Now on the drive I had seen another kingdom. It wasn’t very far off so I would be able to get there and maybe someone there would recognize me. Jeremy had. He said that I was familiar but not his kingdom which meant that I was more than likely still a princess but I simply belonged to someone else. That didn’t make much sense though. Why would they pretend that I belonged to them if I didn’t? What could they have possibly have gained? Well they did seem desperate to find their daughter; I guess they just wanted to believe it too badly.