Under Siege

Chapter  25

---Kiara’s POV---

                I had gotten up before the sun had risen and started walking around the palace. Since lately I had been feeling restless and the night before seemed to have been worst. I couldn’t get my mind off Rolan. I needed to know that he was okay and that our men were putting up a fight in what seemed like a hopeless war. I also wanted to know that Tony and the others were still alive and in good health. People tended so often to forget that even orphans had needs and that could be to their detriment.

I walked along the halls until I could see the sun slowly peeping over the trees a little ways off from the meadow. It got me thinking . . . if this war hadn’t started then Rolan and I could have taken strolls through the meadow or slept under the stars together again. There was so much to enjoy, why would anyone want to put an end to it by declaring war? How could anyone be that cruel and barbaric? Couldn’t the matter simply have been discussed; they would all feel foolish afterwards I bet seeing as how my name wasn’t even Kiara.

After Chloe had told me that I tried to remembering my name but everytime I came close my mind would simply blank out. It got so frustrating sometimes because I really just wanted to know. I needed even a hint as to who I really was . . .

“Princess you’re up early.”

I turned at the voice and saw Dara standing at the end of the hall. “Um yes . . . I couldn’t sleep . . .” I answered in a small voice.

She nodded understandingly. “Well if you’d like a few servants will be going into town to see if we can gather anymore supplies; would you like to accompany them?”

“Yes I’d love to.” I said jumping at the opportunity. It would have been a good chance to get new information for the queen and I just knew she would have loved to hear how the people were doing today. “When will they be leaving?”

“In another ten minutes or so. That gives you enough time to get ready and head down I assume.”

I nodded then hurried back to my room. Inside I quietly moved around so I wouldn’t wake Ezra and when I had pulled my hair into a ponytail and thrown on a shorter dress I hurried right out. I got down to the stables in time to see them pulling out and called after them. The carriage stopped immediately and I was allowed on.

The ride into the town was rather quiet. It gave me a chance to think. As I sat in the back seat and looked out I saw women peeping through the spaces in their doors; children peeping through the cracked windows; a people living in fear. . .

“Have we received any more news about the war?” I asked suddenly. The thought had just come to me.

“No Princess, I’m afraid we haven’t.”

“Well have the men received any word from here since the last?”

“Not as yet. We’re waiting until we get the supplies today so we can send both off with the same messengers.”

I nodded but didn’t ask any more questions. Maybe I would be able to send a message to Rolan . . .

We stopped at the local market were many women had taken over the duties of their husbands, brothers, fathers or cousins. I took in everything and a feeling of nostalgia swept over me. I missed running through the market and hearing the screams of the bakers or shopkeepers as my family and I made a sprint through the streets. I could almost hear our shouts and orders as I watched us having fun . . . and working together. Before I knew it I was drifting further and further away from the girls I had come with. I don’t know why but I was just being pulled.