Conquered

Chapter 27

---Kiara’s POV---

I woke up to a slight shifting in my bed. Looking over I smiled as I watched Ezra sigh and cling to his pillow while Saylo, the girl from the day before, was snugglied under the sheets completely lost to the world. She had crawled into the bed earlier this morning saying that she couldn’t sleep. Of course I had to let her stay because it must have been beyond scary looking at nothing but the four walls of my room . . . afterall I couldn’t even stay in there by myself for a while .. . Thinking about that made me glad that Ezra had found me.

I didn’t want to wake them so I took great care in getting up. Ezra twisted and groaned but luckily he didn’t wake up. I didn’t want either of them to because I had to leave soon. I planned to head out to the base from where our troops were launching attacks; I needed someone to come back here and lead these people because it was obvious that they wouldn’t listen to me. I must have been the worst Queen ever and I wasn’t even official as yet. I couldn’t even get the servant girls to listen to me so how the hell would I have been able to get the entire kingdom to follow me. I hadn’t forgotten that I was the same street kid that stole from each of them atleast five times in my life and they hadn’t forgotten either.

Back in my room I pulled on the shortest dress I could find and pulled my hair back into a ponytail. There was no time to waste. The men were somewhere out in the woods waiting for us to slip up and I wasn’t going to wait for us to do that before I went to get help; it would be too late then.

“I need a horse.” I said, rushing into the stables. All the stable hands turned to me in astonishment. I guess they never thought that I would have been up so early. That and I never mentioned that I was leaving so it must have been a shock, somewhat. “Oh and good morning.” I said, I didn’t like forgetting my manners, everyone deserved respect and rush was no excuse to forget my manners.

“Good morning Princess,” one said, lowering his hat and walking over to me, “I’m afraid you can’t go riding just now, it’s not safe.”

“Yeah I know but I need to get to the troops. I’ll be back soon I promise and don’t worry I know how to take care of myself.”

They all exchanged a certain look that told me that they had no faith in me. I sighed. “I said I promise.” I repeated before hurrying by him and hoping on the closest horse. “Now I should be back by a little before sunset . . . yeah around that. I need one of you to run down to the morgue once the morticians get there and remind them that no body is to leave the morgue, please.” I said before ordering the horse forward. I didn’t wait for it to be saddled; that would have been much too uncomfortable.

The horse galloped a bit but once we got to the forest it slowed to a trot. For now there was no need to push him so I allowed the trot. In the mean time I tried organizing my thoughts. I didn’t necessarily want Rolan to see me while I was there because he would want to know why I was there then he would find out about his mother and everything would go downhill from there. I just needed to find the war captain and have him assign someone. It could work, the army usually took over during dire situations anyway.

Crick . . .

I was pulled out of my thoughts by my unwelcomed company. Someone was following us. I signaled for the horse to go faster but now it only cantered. I was on edge as I head some more shuffling. Glancing to the side I saw something disappear in the trees that separated me from the other path. On the other side I could clearly see two men on horses running on the other path just a little distance away.

“Princess wait!”

Oh no, not a chance.

“Hah!” I knock my feet against the sides of the horse and it went a full blown gallop. The men began galloping as well. “Come one . . . faster.” I muttered, holding tightly to its mane. Almost as if it understood it began galloping faster.