War!!!

Chapter 21

---Rolan’s POV---

I walked back into her room and found her curled up with Ezra, fast asleep. I leaned against the door frame and took in the sight before me. I couldn’t believe that I had forgotten just how beautiful and innocent she looked while she slept. The perfect angel. It made it even harder to admit the fact that she had been violated especially by those bastards. Just who did they think they were?

I walked over to her and placed my hand on her cheek. She sighed but didn’t wake up. I tried my hardest not to smash my hand into the nearby wall as I watched that delicate expression on her face turn even more delicate. How could they have hurt her? I wasn’t going to let this die silently. She deserved better.

“Rolan . . .?” She mumbled, not necessarily awake. I looked down on her and confirmed my suspicion; she was still sleeping. “Rolan . . .” I kneeled so I could be closer to her.

“Yes? I’m here.” I whispered next to her ear. “What is it?”

“Will you kiss me?” She mumbled as her hand reached up and rested on my face. “Please . . . I still want to be your princess . . .” Her eyes didn’t open but I knew she had some idea of what she was saying. I leaned in and kissed her softly on her lips.She held unto my face making the kiss last longer. When she let go I knew she had fallen into deep sleep again so I rose and took one last look at her before leaving. That only reminded me of how fragile she was now and I needed to ensure that she knew she would always be my princess.

That night I didn’t get much of what anyone could call sleep. For the whole night I couldn’t stop tossing and turning as I saw her, held down . . .ugh! I was thankful for the rising of the sun that indicated that I no longer needed to remain in bed. I threw off my covers and hurried over to her room. Right now she didn’t need to be alone; she needed my comfort and I would give it to her.

When I opened the door I caught her jump slightly. Her curious blue eyes stared at me as she waited for me to speak. I cleared my throat then entered. Without much thought she went right back to staring into the mirror. It didn’t seem like she was looking at anything in particular but rather it seemed that’s he was simply staring for the sake of sleeping. Glancing to the side I saw that Ezra was still asleep.

“How are you feeling?” I asked as I walked over to her. She looked up at me with a weak smile.

“Yeah.”

“Did you sleep well?”

She nodded. I didn’t believe that though. She had bags under her eyes and sleep was clawing away at her eyes. It wouldn’t work. Whether she liked it or not she needed her sleep. If I had to help her then I would but she couldn’t skip out on her sleep. It wouldn’t have benefited anyone; especially not her. I pulled her up and held her against. I could almost feel her melt in my arms. It made me not want to let go; how could I? Finally she was back in my arms . . . finally. As I held her I noticed just how perfectly still she had become after a while but it took a bit longer for me to realize that she was crying. It started out soft and barely noticeable and grew into sobs. Her cry was heart wrenching. She was one of those people in life he didn’t deserve to cry so why was she doing so much of it? I sighed holding her closer and whispering: “You need to sleep. A princess cannot be of any use to her country while she is exhausted . . . and more importantly my princess cannot be of any use to herself or her prince while she is without sleep.”

“But I can’t sleep . . .” She said after drawing a shaky breath. “I—I just keep seeing them—hurting me . . . and I can never make them stop. . .” With that she began crying even harder. I could feel my heart breaking. I was also reminded of what Father had said. He said that if she didn’t get raped by them something else would have happened to her. He was only half wrong. If I hadn’t taken her off the street then none of this would have happened to her. I—I had to make it up to her . . . somehow . . . I just had to. Because of me she couldn’t sleep . . .