Myra

Myra has given up celebrating festivals. Khushi used to be the devotee of Devi Maiyya who used
to jump at the very mention of a festival or a religious ceremony. But when you are pregnant and alone, those are luxuries you cannot afford. All you have to concentrate is how to make life better for your soon-to-be-born kid. After she moved to Seattle in the fourth month of her pregnancy, she did not know any Indian people. And after so long it now feels really foreign to her anyway. So she does not celebrate festivals anymore. Or at least that's the reason Myra gives to Barun every time he tries to make her go with him to some festival at someone from his infinite list of friends or acquaintances. But in the heart of her heart Myra knows those are nothing but lies told over and over again. She lost faith in Devi Maiyya the day she found out she cannot be with the love of her life because of something that is neither him nor her fault. Someone has to take the blame for such a cruel twist in her life. So Myra simply blamed Devi Maiyya and vowed never to turn to her again. And as for festivals not involving Devi Maiyya, Myra tried. The first time Barun took her to his parents' Diwali celebration all it did was brought back memories from a life she can never have again. Beautiful, burning memories of a girl in a red saari , a boy in a black suit and a circle of diyaas. It took Myra every ounce of her self-control to not to break down right then and there or to catch the next flight and run to him. But that was out of the question. So Myra does the only thing that seems sensible. She avoids them.
But Aarav's birthday was an exception. Myra throws herself into it completely to make the day perfect for Aarav. When it comes to Aarav, there is no length Myra would not go to give him everything he wanted or she felt he needed. It was her way of salvation for keeping him away from the love of an amazing father or a family. It's for the best, she tells herself every time she wonders if it was a mistake, keeping the existence of the two most important persons in her life from each other and the answer remains the same. It's for the best.

"Mom , hurry up! It will start!" Aarav shouts from the passenger's seat of Barun's car. Today Barun and Myra is taking Aarav to see the new superhero movie of his favorite actor. And Barun seems to be excited like a child himself too. Barun, Myra smiles to herself when she thinks of him.

After that fateful night when she had ran away from her wedding without a single idea of where to go, she had got on the next bus that stopped near her. When the conductor had asked her for her ticket after half an hour and all Myra could do was cry the stranger sitting next to her had offered a 50 Rupee note to to him and said "Last stop". He sat with her till the last stop Myra learned later that he had ditched his own work to make sure that she was safe.
"What else could have I done? You were in a wedding dress! And from the amount you cried, I was more worried you would faint from dehydration. My mom would have totally killed me
if I had known something was not right and did not even bother to help" , he shrugs and answers if Myra asks him why he did not just leave that day after paying her fare. But at that time Myra or rather Khushi was too lost in her grief to even suspect the intention of a man who had offered her to take her home. She did not know for how long she had been crying. She had hardly noticed that the person who had helped her earlier was also sitting at the same shade typing something on his laptop.

But after the last panwalla had closed his shop for the day and leave, Barun had shut down his laptop and turned to her, asking "Okay ma'm, I can tell you are a runaway bride and obviously distressed but do you know where you will go?"

" humara koi ghar nahi hai " Khushi had somehow found her voice to reply.
"Get up, I am taking you to my place. Don't worry, I live with my mom, I won't be trying for any hanky-panky with you"
Khushi had lifted her eyes and looked at him for the first time. There was a sincere honesty to his face. His eyes seemed concerned. For her, she realized. He seemed like a nice guy. At that time, the reason was enough. A lot of things could have gone wrong that night. Maybe she had not got up on the same bus as Barun, Barun could have turned out to be the psychopath who preyed on naive girls who ran away from their weddings, Barun's mom could have thrown her out when her son had brought home a bride at 2 am in the night. But nothing of that sort happened. Barun's mom Ila aunty was one of the nicest ladies Khushi had ever met. She had put Khushi to bed, she had fed her and talked to her, she had understood her
pain and comforted her, she was the first person who had found out maybe Khushi is pregnant and taken her to a doctor. Khushi had cried again that day.

She cried a lot it in the earlier days. She had told her complete story to Ila aunty and Barun. Ila auny hugged her, Barun looked thoughtful. He is not the sort of person you can catch off guard.was also the day, Khushi decided to chose life over misery. For her baby's sake, the tiny life that was growing inside her, Arnavji and her child. On the fourth month of Khushi's pregnancy, Barun got a job in a huge technical farm in the US. His mom was also to move to US, they had no family left in India. Khushi did not want to accompany them, she had been a burden enough already and soonshe would have a new baby. It was not fair for Barun, he worked so hard. She did not need to increase his difficulties. It was a long argument. Barun won when he threatened to call her family so that they can take her home if she plans to
stay in India. She had told her Arnav's family name and turned out, he really was well known. And Khushi was sure, Barun might actually do it out of concern for her wellbeing. When it was time to make the papers for their trip, Khushi made the request if she could change her name. It took a long time for the legal works to complete and thus Barun and Illa Bhatia landed in Seattle with Myra Singh..

Myr rushed to the car. She did not want Aarav and Barun to misAarav and Barun to miss the opening of their oh-so-precious movie (Myra still loved only Bollywood movies). Those two can seriously sulk. As she approached the car, Aarav's face lit up, "Mom, you actually got ready on time! "

Barun leaned from behind Aarav and gave her thumbs up and chimed in "That has to be a record Myra. And you don't look much bad either"
Typical Barun. Myra smiles as she buckles in. Aarav hoots. He loved spending time with Barun. When Myra's business started growing, she had brought up the topic of moving to our own house. Aarav was almost two, she cannot impose on them for much longer now that she has started earning, she wanted to be independent. Barun was furious but Ila aunty had understood. They still lived in the same neighbourhood, Myra and the Bhatias. Barun and Myra left for work together, Ila aunty looked after Aarav. They were practically family. Barun turns up the radio, it's an Indian station.

This is nice, Myra thinks. Barun and Aarav are happily chatting about something. Maybe Myra can afford to feel relaxed now. Myra rests her head on the backseat and closes her eyes as the car is filled with the sound of an old Euphoria track-"ab naa jaa"