The Last Chapter

"Khushi? " Garima asks Khushi (also known as Myra) as she pours more oil into her hair,she had been giving Khushi a champi*.

{* Oil massage of hair}

"Haan amma??"

{Trans: yes mother?}

Khushi asks lazily. It feels so damn amazing. To be with family,soak in the love and warmth.

It's been three days since Khushi and Aarav had moved in with the Guptas. To say that seeing Khushi come back after all these years that too with a child was a huge shock for the Gupta family would be an understatement. The past few days, the both party has exchanged news about the years that had gone by. Khushi was overjoyed when she learned that she had become a maasi*.

{*Mom's younger sister, aunt. Payal and Akash had a child}

Garima was awed that her crazy daughter had become an independent business owner, that too in a different country working from scratch, while going through a pregnancy alone and bringing up a baby. Babuji could not be prouder of his favourite daughter and buwaji made it her quest to make as many special dishes she can and feed Aarav, growing up kids must eat a lot, she declared. And Aarav? He was like a happy puppy, running around his nani and nani buwa and nanaji.

"Ae Khushi, when are you meeting the Raizadas? They would be so happy to see you and Aarav." Amma pokes Khushi gently.

"Uffo amma, I need time to think. I can't just knock there and stand. And Aarav is happy here. We will think of something."
Khushi dodges her mother's quiry for the umpteenth time.
"But.."

"Meri pyaari amma, do you think I don't want to see Arnav ji, didi, nani ji , anjali di again? I am dying for Aarav to meet them. But I am also scared amma. I don't know what I want. " Khushi says.

And it's true. Khushis's family has accepted her and she is glad to be home but she had made a life for herself and Aarav back in the states and the new Myra is not sure if she's ready to give it all up. And she has not faced Arnav yet. She had promised Aarav that she would take him to his dad but now that she is so close to him, she's dreading the confrontation. Even her family has not mentioned anything about the Raizada's at all in front of her. Is it possible that Arnavji has moved on and her family is worried that she won't be able to take it and is that why they have been avoiding it?? And she has held back herself from asking about him too. But she can't always pretend that he does not exist and stay in her parent's house hiding forever. If not for her sake, she has to make the right decision for Aarav. No matter what happened.

I am strong. Myra thinks. I love you but I am not here searching for my happy ending. I gave up on you the day I broke off our wedding and no matter who you are with, I will always wish you well. But my son, our son, I will have to keep my promise to him. I owe this to him and you Arnavji. I will take him to see you tomorrow and then we will go back. No more complications.
---------------------------
"Aarav?"
"Yes mom?"
"Get dressed, we are going to your dad's house"
---------------------------
Khushi wipes her sweaty palms on her jeans. Her heart is beating so loudly she is afraid that her son who is sitiing next to her in the cab woud hear her. That he would know that behind his mom's calm exterior she is falling apart with every passing moment. When she woke up this morning, the house was empty. She did not want to do this alone but before she could bail out again, she had woken up her still asleep son, rented a cab and started for Raizada Masion.
The cab stopped in front of the gorgeous house. Just standing in front of it, Khushi was overwhelmed with the memories that she had there, with the people who were probably just inside.
"Come Aarav" Khushi takes Aarav"s hand and with a deep breath she steps inside. She in immediately assaulted with people and flowers and decorations?
Is today some festival? Khushi wonders but she can't remember anything. Aarav is standing beside her in a stunned silence, too awed to talk.
She sees a waiter passing by and grabs him "Bhai sahab? What is this celebration? "
"Madam today is the ring ceremony of Sir" the waiter says.
"Sir? Which sir? Akash is married " Khushi weakly replies.
Maybe there's some mistake- the voice inside her head still hopes.