Myra

Myra tied the last balloon to the string and stepped down from the tool to inspect her handy work. The room looks lovely. The balloons are red, Aarav's favourite colour. There are also cut outs of Spiderman, Superman and cars-three of Aarav's most favourite thing after his mom. Aarav will be so pleased. Aarav, Myra's son he will turn 5 in a couple of hours. He is the center of Myra's universe. He is what kept her sane and fighting during the last 6 years. Is it almost 6 years already? Myra wonders. 6 years since the day she thought was the happiest day in her life. Myra wipes away the sneaky teardrop that had rolled down her eyes. No, she won't bring back those memories. They belong in the past. Aarav, think about Aarav. Myra forces herself to think of her son's smiling face when he runs back to her every day after school, how warm is hugs feel, her son who has always been such a matured boy for his age, Aarav her world.

Remembering Aarav always helps.

Myra switches off the drawing room light of her small Seattle apartment. She goes to her tiny workstation. Everything for tomorrow's birthday party has to be perfect. She checks off her list. She looks at the bookkeeping records of her Indian place "Little India", she logged into the website of her ethnic clothing line if there are any pending orders due tomorrow. Her employees are efficient, she hardly needs to do any work now. They keep both her restaurant and her fashion store in neat order. But Myra likes to be directly involved. She is proud of them. She is proud of the life she has built for herself and her son in USA. If only amma and babuji could see her now, they would have been so proud. Buwaji probably would not have believed that her Sanka Devi has become a successful business women now. Sanka Devi, there is nobody in her new life who calls her by that name now. She is Myra Singh now. The clock strikes one. Myra switches off her computer and retires to her bed. Aarav is asleep, of course. Myra sits near him and caresses his forehead lovingly. He looks so peaceful. "He is becoming more like you everyday Arnavji. Aarav, our son" Myra speaks softly to the dark night and finally allows herself to release the tears she had been holding the whole day. The night has kept her secret well all these years.