Arnav

Arnav Singh Raizada gets out of the airport. "Dammit Aman" , he curses at his otherwise efficient PA, Aman who forgot to send Arnav's SUV to pick him up. Well 'fogot' will be the wrong word since it was Arnav's flight that had landed earlier than the scheduled time.
But now Arnav is left with no choice but to take a cab home and Arnav Singh Raizada is not fond of public transport. And since Akash's marriage and most importantly after the arrival of Nupur, Arnav does not like to boas around and order about Akash as much as earlier.
"If only NK was in town" Arnav grumbles to himself as he tries to find a taxi.
If she was here, she would probably just whistle or something and a cab would magically appear. Then she would bit his ears off for the rest of the journey talking with her taxi-wale bhaiyya trying to find common acquaintance in Lucknow or Kakori or bonding over some idiotic movie, Salman Khan movie, he mentally corrects himself.
A sad smile appears on his rugged face that had started showing the shad own of a beard. Damn it Khushi where are you...Arnav thinks fondly, she is almost a happy memory now. She was tp good to be true anyway. Someone like him didnot deserve someone like hers.
"Taxi!!" Arnav sees an empty cab standing and pulls the backdoor open without waiting for the driver to respond, only to see a kid sitting there, alone.
"What the! Who are you?" Arnav is genuinely surprised. The kid looks about 7 and has a big-ass headset over his ears, his eyes glues to tbe screen of his tab as he is animatedly leaning side to side, too focused in his game to notice the stranger who is gaping at him.
"Hello! Where's your mom? Your dad? I could be a kidnapper for God's sake! How can they leave a kid alone!" Arnav rebukes the kid, his tamper rising. Such irresponsible parents
"Chill grandpa , mom's just gone back to get my duffel bag. She knows the cab uncle." the kid speaks with an American accent.
Interesting.
For some reason Arnav finds himself sliding into the backseat.
"Fine, I will give you company unless your mom comes back. Don't mind me, play your videogame" Arnav speaks non chalantly. This kid is proving to be an interesting character. He was not to keen on going early to Nani's stupid puja anyway. He misses the days when people uses to fear the ASR. Much better than the looks of pity and sympathy.
"Dude! DoTA is not videogame! Go back to your own century. And get out of my cab" the kid gives him a jab with one elbow.
"Ow! What Hasn't your parents taught you how to behave with elders? " These oversmart kids these days, probably some rich brat. Thank God our Nupur is nothing like this idiot.
"Yup, mom did. And she also told me out to fend off dangerous strangers. So get out before I call 911" the kid speaks, he has barely looked up from his game.
Despite himself, Arnav can't help smiling.
"Oh really? And I suppose the rescue team will arrive from US in Delta force helicopters just for you? This is India kid. We don't have 911 here. 100, that's the police helpline. Remember it. Its really not safe out there for a kid like you alone. " Arnav says looking at the boy with concern. Where's his stupid mom? Why is she taking so long? Irresponsible
"Oh! I didn't know that. Errr thanks I guess" the boy finally looks up and gives him a smile. And for a moment Arnav is dazzled.
"I am Aarav by the way. And you don't look like a grandpa", he says, giving a lopsided smile again.
"Because I am not" Arnav smiles back. I likes this kid, his thought surprises himself.
"So what else should I know about India? You see, its my first time here. My mom was from here. But we don't live here anymore. I was born in?"
"Stop kid. Rule no. 1. Don't talk to stangers. And definetly don't tell them about yourself. " I don't want to know about him, what's the point of unnecessary ties.
"But mom says, strangers are nice. And its okay to be nice to people and take help from you" Aarav says, knitting his eyebrows thoughtfully. And for some reason, Arnav has a sudden urge to laugh. This mysterious kid is definitely interesting, he decides.
"Your mom is not very smart then" Arnav tells the kid. Its probably not nice telling him that his mom was a stupid woman. Where is she anyway!
Arnav feels his cellphone vibrating. He checks the number, its di.
"Chhotey where are you? We know your plan has landed. Get home soon before nani gets angry" Anjali Raizada's speaks in a breath. Nani is probably losing her head. I better get home.
"Di I'll be there in 15" Arnav says simply and disconnects.
"Hey Aarav was it? I got to go. Will you be okay? Why is your mom taking so long?" Arnav is not entirely sure about living a kid who's probably never been to India before on his own in the crazy Delhi airport.
"Relax grandpa, I told you, mom knows the uncle. I will be fine" the kid has started on another game and is back in his zone again.
Arnav gets out and finds the cab driver who's leaning on the bonnet.
"This kid, do you know his family?" He asks directly, not caring what the driver may think.
"Nahi sahab, Madumji said that she trusts me, we are from the same place. You don't worry, I will take care of baba and take them home safely" the driver gives him a paan-stained toothy grin.
Crazy woman! Arnav thinks exasperately. Well its her kid, whatever she pleases to do. He is not my responsibility.
"Fine. Just don't leave him alone until the madam arrives. Here" he hands a 500 to the puzzled driver.
He leans in through the window and says to the kid "Good by champ, take care of yourself okay?"
"Sure not-grandpa" the kid looks up and gives him another big smile.
And for a moment, Arnav can feel a warmth in his heart again. He has rather become fond of kids these days, after Nupur's arrival into their lives.
Arnav picks up his travel bag and walks off looking for a cab, a little happier than before and still unable to wipe the smile off his face.