at the Raizada Mansion

The Raizada Mansion is bustling with activities from the morning. Festivals have always been important for the Raizadas and today is the auspicious day of Shrine Krishna's Janmashtami.
Time has left its marks on the huge palacial house that still stans in its full glory. Nani Devyani Raizada has far more lines on her serene face than she used to have a couple of years ago. The past years have not been kind to her. After seeing her grandson got heartbroken she had to suffer another shock when couple of months later the whole family found out that the son in law, Shyam Jhaa whom Anjali placed on the same alter as God and the whole family doted on was indeed the a villain so cruel and evil that had in fact arranged his own wife's miscarriage.
After the disastrous wedding, Payal's father had gained his speech and mobility, the doctors unable to find a reason behind his miraculous recovery had decided that the trauma of Khushi leaving was indeed strong enough to jolt him back from whatever condition he was going through.
Talk about silver linings.
Mr. Gupta told the family about Shyam, how he posed and gained the family's confidence slyly until they agreed to marry Khushi off to him and how when he had found out the truth of Shyam married to Arnav's sister, he had tried to kill him.
He also said the story of how all these years ago, Arnav and Anjali's father had tried to pull of the same thing with Garima, his wife. She was a victim, rather than a family breaker and he had known her truth all along and had supported her. Finding out the that your dead son in law was a sleazy bastard was not easy for Devyani Raizada. She had collapsed. But she had to be strong for both Arnav and Anjali's sake.
The good thing was Anjali's life was saved from getting ruined.
But all their attempts of finding Khushi had gone in vain. It was as if Khushi had vanished into thin air , taking the light out of Arnav's life with her
Still Devyani Raizada hopes that one day both her grand children will be able to leave the pain behind and move forward in their lives again.
"Arrey Omprakash what are you doing, string those flowers well. You are getting old. I will sack you soon and find someone new" Manorama shouts and walks around the huge hall criticizing the flower decorations the three servants of the house namely Omprakash, Jayprakash and Hariprakash had so painstakingly put up.
"Payeliaa, where are you??? Why isn't the prayer thaali yet ready? Will Kanha wait for you to get ready doing your shtyles" now Manorama Raizada starts nagging her daughter in law Payal.
"Ji maa ji" the thaali is ready. See? I have put it on the table ? I was just helping Nupur dress, she still hasn't learn how to braid her hair", Payal trails of non chalantly, still smiling. She has gotten used to her mother in law's sharp tongue. She knows behind the naggings and the sometimes harsh words she actually loves her daughter in law and its only just the way she functions. And for those who do not know, Nupur is Akash and PayPal's 4 year old daughter. She is a happy kid, filling the big hall with the sound of her laughs. She is the apple of Anjali's eyes. Even Arnav gives up his strict demeanor near her. One time Akash had caught sight of Arnav crouching on the floor while Nupur was sitting on his back shouting " thal mele ghole" in her tiny voice, her hand fast on her uncle's hair. Akash had to put his fist on his mouth from breaking out into laughter. To save Arnav's dignity he had silently gone out from the room after watching the two of them play for some time.
"Uff Manorama, instead of harassing Payal bitiyaa why don't you help her with the works? How will she manage everything? Aren't you also a member of this family? " Devyani chastises her daughter in law. But she knows Manorama's ways and this banters are only out of habit.
"He he saasumaa, what are you saying? Our Payal bitiyaa is very efficient. She will manage everything. Won't you Payal?" Manorma adds hastily. She does not like being scolded in front of Payal like a naughty child. But for some reason, its the only thing saasumaa seems to enjoy. She curses her fate silently once and rushes away in front of her mother in law's hawk like eyes.
"Daadi why did you have to do that? " Payal giggles as she brings the thaali from the dining table and arranges the diyaas.
"Arrey Payal bitiyaa, you don't worry. Manorama has a thick skin. And if she is your mother in law, I am hers. Hum unki saas hair. I know how to handle her. Is Akash bitwaa ready? And did find Arnav bitwaa on phone? That kid will be the death of me someday. I have told him so many times that its important that each member of the family is present in this puja and yet he runs off saying he has to work. " Devyani grumbles to Payal. She worries about her older grandson.
"Dadiji I talked to Arnavji last night. He said he will take the morning flight and reach before the puja ceremony. He should be by home anytime now. Oh, its the door bell. Looks like Arnavji got home early." Payal hastily goes to see who's at the door.
But its not Arnav at the door. The Guptaas had decided to pay a surprised visit to their daughter's home. They adored their grand daughter and didnot give up any chance to be near her.
Amidst all the celebration each member of the combined Gupta-Raizada clan is aware of the perpetual shadow of gloom that is associated with the absence of the most vibrant person of their lives. Khushi.
Everyone is afraid to utter the name of Khushi. As if everything is on balance and if someone even puts a pin on the wrong corner, every thing will come down crashing. So the whole family gathers to celebrate in smiles as someone secretly misses her sister,their daughters, her grand daughter.
Meanwhile at the Delhi international airport two plan lands simultaneously. Arnav Singh Raizada clears his baggage claims as fast a possible and now can be seen hurrying along the airport corridors worried about getting late for Nanni's puja as from the other flight, Myra sets foot on her country's ground for the first time in ages, holding her son's hand.