Chapter 3

*~* This chapter is happily dedicated to SHATTERED SNOW for being the 1st to notice my little, Romeo and Juliet usage in chapter 2:) ENJOY!;)

CHAPTER 3

Rose gazed out of her small window in her space deprived room.

It was midnight and she couldn't sleep. Her parents were up at it again; screaming and quarreling with each other, probably over a simple conflict that could be easily resolved.

She listened in for a moment.

"Edward, I'm tired of you and your blasted gambling! Everywhere I turn, you're always in some need of money to pay off your insignificant gambling!"

"Veronique listen to me for one mere second! Money is not needed to pay this off. Me and the man came to an agreement and-"

"Now what has your half-witted mind came up with? Something to bring more agony to this family?"

"Just listen. This shall ease our burdens by a slight bit. I have agreed to marry off Rose to him."

Rose was stunned. She gasped aloud. He what??! She tried to re assemble what she just heard. Her father was gonna just marry her off to this man, no not any man, but the bartender?

She then remembered his last words after her completely spacing out,'this shall ease our burdens a slight bit'. Of course. She hoped them getting rid of her presence would do anythingd but 'ease'.

She listened in again.

"Well, loosing her would only benefit us."

She couldn't believe her mother.

Rose decided at that moment that she would refuse to marry that wretched man. That had a most undignified job.

She grabbed a rubbish cloth satchel and began stuffing her few possessions and clothes in it. She wouldn't miss this place, she thought.

After taking one last glance around the room, she was out the window and onto the dangerous streets.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

With wide eyes, Rose looked around the dark, barren town. No one in sight. She knew not of where to go, but she knew where she didn't want to stay.

Rose saw a welcoming house that had the lights on. A girl, maybe around 16, stepped out of the house.

She saw Rose and beckoned to her.

Rose cautiously walked toward her.

The girl had a bright smile on her face and looked far much from tired.

"Bonsoir mademoiselle! Or should I say bonjour?" The girl chuckled slightly.

"Hello to you as well. May I ask what establishment this house is?"

"Only if I can ask your name. My name is Lajae."

Rose thought for a moment, knowing it wasn't safe just giving out her name to complete strangers when running away from home.

She should make up one for the time being, she thought.

"My name is, uhh, Lucile."

"Hmm, Lucile. Quiet an intéressant name for a towns-girl. You are from town, aren't you?"

"No no, I'm.. Visiting family."

"Oh! Well then welcome to our town! I claim myself as being part of it, even though I've only came here about a year ago. Fresh from France!" The girl smiled.

"Thank you. Now my question.."

"Ha! I almost forgot! This is a -"

"Where ye at Lajae? Yer needed in here!"

Another lady called in from the building.

"I'm coming, Madame Julia!"

"Who is that?" Rose asked curiously.

"Madame Julia? Oh, she's the head lady of all the other ladies in here. Come on in."

There was MORE ladies? Hmm, Rose thought.

Rose followed the girl into the house and entered and found a whole bunch of, women, sitting around in a circle, holding hands and reciting some Chant.

It gave her the chills.

What was this place?

When the woman stopped chanting, they all cast their dark, dead looking eyes on Rose.

"Almost in a dreary sounding unison, they all said, "Hello Lucille."

Rose shivered, but gave them a subtle smile.

"Would you care to join us?"

"Yes Lucille, would you care to join US?"

2 women closest to her started talking.

"Who are you people? What are you doing?" Rose asked curiously.

"We are receiving power, to effectively work magic. It's like a good luck thing."

"You.. You, practice the dark arts?"

"We don't 'practice' it; we control it."

Rose's chest constricted and she started to breath heavier.

"I've got to leave."

"Don't go so soon. You can be like us. He will gladly accept you."

Rose shuttered at the woman's use of the word ,"he".

So these were the creeps who had bounties on them. Witches.

Rose turned and fled the building. When she glanced back at it, she still saw the lights. But it was dark on the inside.

She shuddered. Now was not a good time to think on it.

She was on her own, out of the protection of her own home. Lonely.

Possibly even in danger. Only the future knows what comes next.

REMEMBER TO VOTE AND COMMENT:)