Chapter 4

CHAPTER 4

King Pierce paced the castle library, while continuously checking his golden pocket watch.

Of course the 'extravaganzas ' would have started by now, but Pierce was trying to his greatest ability to avoid it.

"Maybe they won't come for me at all,"

The King chuckled at his irony.

They would make him come, even if it meant dragging him. Slightly childish, but yes, true indeed.

There was a quick knock on the door, and without warning, it was swung open.

To the King's surprise, it was one of his old friends, now a wealthy duke.

"How it goes, Pierce?"

" Jonathan! What such a pleasant surprise! What brings you to such a splendid event?"

Pierce overly emphasized the word 'splendid'.

"My King, do you not think this grand ball is 'splendid'? Oh, I thought balls were to be your fancy!"

Jonathan mocked him in a playful way, knowing his friend's annoyance in social gatherings.

He quickly regretted the remark when Pierce gave him an icy glare. Something he hasn't received from him since that time Jonathan beat him for the 1st time in sword fighting.

When the King didn't reply with words, Jonathan remembered his reason for coming up here in the first place.

"Well Pierce, when I asked where you were when I arrived, one of your servants told me I would find you up here, and I did. They also conveyed to me that you must come down at once."

Jonathan tried to suppress his grin at the look of vexation on the king's face.

"Hmm, I knew they would send for me sooner or later; perhaps I would prefer the latter instead though," the King sighed.

The two made their way down the halls toward the grand ballroom. They could hear the chatting and music crescendoing as they got closer and closer.

When the twosome arrived, A flock of women circled King Pierce and Jonathan.

Quickly remembering a dance he promised

to a lady, Jonathan scurried off and left his dear friend in the seemed like havoc of women.

Pierce, on the other hand, not realizing he was in the incorrect spot of the ballroom; hence having to be on the throne, backed up against the wall.

Not knowing what to say or do, he just let them talk, and not making direct eye contact with any of them. He strongly doubted they even took into account of his act. Their non-stop chatter and giggling confirmed his doubts.

In the corner of his eye, Pierce spotted his trustworthy valet motioning towards him vigorously.

" See you ladies later."

When Pierce said that, all the twits started fussing over exactly whom to he was referring to.

Not really thinking that what he said was such a good thing to say, Pierce nonchalantly pulled a face.

The ladies, of course, thinking the expression was directed to only one of them, proceeded to rant.

"King Pierce," the valet stepped a little closer to him, " do you think I was not aware of your absence?"

"Oh, but you are wrong, in a sense. It wasn't an absence, as you call it; a mere 'break' from all the, excitement, seems more fitting. And yes, I was more than aware that you knew of my little, 'break."

Currently distracted by his King's knowledgeable response, the valet didn't notice Pierce's gaze outside.

Oh how Pierce so desperately yearned to get out of these clothes, and go for a long ride with his jet-black steed, Night.

And maybe that long ride might lead to him never having to return to his kingly duties.

"King, oh King?" The valet interrupted his thoughts. "Did you just hear a word I said?"

"Ok, I mean, err, no I did not hear. I must've been sidetracked."

"That you are, but that type of action is not healthy to be one of a king."

"Oh my dearest valet, why do you chastise me such, and treat me like I act so poorly in my duties? Surely this ball isn't included in a King's duties?" His last sentence was more of a statement, rather than a question.

"I wouldn't correct you if you didn't need it," the valet muttered.

"So now you are going to fuss to me about how I should be on the throne, rather than in the crowd right now.Please, do spare."

"You are slowly catching on, now make haste!"

As the king lounged on the throne like seat in the front of the dancing and whatever else people did in balls, he gazed once again out of the window, and promised to treat himself to just one measly ride; maybe after meeting all the available ladies. Or maybe as soon as he got the chance.

~~__~~__~~

Pierce looked over every available lady of social status in the castle, and as predicted by none other than himself, was pleased with none of them. Every one of them had a derangement it seemed like.

Too tall, too short, chubby, sickly, pale, gaunt, too young, too flaunty. An old hag that looked older than his great grandmother even tried to catch his fancy. She more or less caught his disgust.

At last, King Pierce found the opportunity to sneak away. Seeing if any prying eyes were on him, he snuck out of the castle and into the stables, where his only key to freedom was. Night was the most understanding organism in his life. He understood Pierce's need to be free.

Pierce mounted the horse, then took off in a high speed gallop toward the open plains.

He would take a joyride, then make haste getting back. No one would notice his absence. Did he think that? No, he meant break. No one would notice his break.

It seemed like always,'no one' included everyone.

"One day, maybe one day, that will change," he thought.

REMEMBER TO VOTE, COMMENT, AND SHARE;) ~criticism is accepted~