9. Alaric Saltzman

As I walked into the house I knew instantly something was wrong. I know people always say the air feels like sadness, but this time it truly did. I walked into the living room to find a large circle of glum faces. They included, Damon, Stefan, Bonnie, Caroline, Elena, Jeremy, and Allaric. He seemed to be the centre.

Strolling in, all heads turned to look at me.

"Well hello, what's this big news I have not been informed of?"

Stefan looked up, then started having a very intense staring competition at the flower vase. His eyebrows knitted together.

"Allaric has decided not to complete the ritual."

I was shocked. Better off a vampire Rick than no Rick, right? In a way I admired how easily he could give up his life to save others.

"No! Wait why? You can't!"

He gave me a brooding look.

"I have too Abby. I have no choice. And it's not like I want to live the rest of my life a vampire, who kills other vampires. My whole personality would change. I wouldn't be me."

Damon look distressed. His drinking buddy and possibly only friend, was killing himself for the sake of him and his brother. He was downing drinks like his life depended on it.

I frowned. "So, what are you going to do then?"

Allaric smiled. "I am just going to sit in the old Lockwood estate cellar, until I die. Peaceful. It's how we all wish to end. No pain. No hurt."

I could see his point. He would probably be taken down by Klaus in an extremely brutal way if he did survive this, and become a vampire.

Elena and Jeremy looked horrible. They had obviously been crying a lot, and they stood next too eachother, heads bowed. Now they had no guardian to take care of them. No family left.

I don't think Rick realised how much his death affected everyone.

I think we all just assume if we die everyone will carry on as usual. When Rick dies, Damon, Elena and Jeremy will all have lost someone special to them. But maybe Allaric was making the right choice. One death, over the many that would occur if he lived.

So, I guess we were off to the woods. We all got up and started the gloomy walk to Rick's deathbed.

####

Elijah's POV:

When Abby left, I was dissapointed. I finally found out her feelings for me. The simple kiss showed all of that.

As soon as her car had zoomed away out of the driveway, Klaus's eyes zoned in on me.

"What were you two up to today?"

He grinned.

I really had no idea what to say to this. Telling the truth, would be what he expected, just a kiss, except I would have to say about my tantrum. Lying, well, I was always a horrible liar anyway. That's why I am always so honest and keep my word.

"She just came over to find out who turned her." I paced around the room.

His grin faded in dissapointment. "Oh. Just that. Well, did you tell her?"

I smiled, remembering the moment. "I did. She was pleased. And now brother, her and her friends won't want to kill me, or you. We are linked to their bloodlines."

His eyes shined.

"Well, that's good news isn't it! And the History Teacher, has decided to not finish his vampiric ritual. Mother's plan has failed. Shall we drink to happy endings?"