Chapter Forty Five - Wow

"She can't go," My father grumbled from the doorway as my mother finished pinning my hair. "She's only seventeen."

Both Mum and I stared at each other for a moment before we started laughing. I had to admit that I enjoyed seeing him in full father mode-it was my first date and he'd never had the opportunity before.

"Daddy, it's just dinner and you know that you actually like Heath," I smiled at him, remembering how he had pulled Heath into his office on Monday afternoon.

River and I had stayed behind after hours at Ashton to talk to the new principal about what needed to happen in regards to the Ball, and Heath had insisted on picking us up. We had barely pulled into the drive when my father had come stomping out with a dark look on his face.

I honestly thought that Heath was going to make a run for it but he had straightened shoulders and stepped out with his hand out.

Daddy had greeted River with a warm smile before it dropped and he had quietly invited Heath to the office to have 'a little chat'.

"Just dinner never means 'just dinner'." He growled back his fingers emphasising his displeasure although I knew from the amusement in his eyes that it was all in fun.

I grinned, "So when you tell me that you're taking Mum out for dinner..."

Mum choked from behind me while Daddy shook a finger in warning at my nose, "No cheekiness, young lady or I'll ground you."

"What?" I mock-gasped.

He nodded decisively, "It's a normal teenage experience. I'm sure that you'd appreciate it."

"Behave, Timothy. She's a mature young woman and this is her first date. We both like and approve of Heath so I think that's enough," Mum haughtily informed her husband, her fingers smoothing down the last of my curls. "Done."

I turned to her with a hesitant smile, my eyes filling slightly when she covered her mouth with her fingers.

"Oh, Alira. You look gorgeous."

"Thanks, Mum," I whispered, my eyes slowly moving to my dad as he walked towards me. "Daddy?"

He looked over my wispy gold dress, its shredded skirt falling to just below my knees. "I hope that boy knows what sort of treasure I'm handing over tonight."

I laughed, "That's a bit Neanderthal but I appreciate the sentiment. I just have to thank you for teaching me how I should expect to be treated."

His fingers lightly lifted my chin, "No man has ever been as lucky as me. Have fun tonight, Jellybean."

"I will," I grinned as we all heard the alarm go off as someone rang the bell at the front gate. "He's here."

Daddy rubbed his hands together, "Excellent. I dug out one of your grandfather's hunting rifles and its sitting on the front table." He practically ran out of the door, "I'll let him in."

"Ah," I held a hand out. "Should we stop him?"

Mum laughed, "No. He's been planning for this night since the moment we found out I was pregnant with a girl. Let him have it. Heath is strong enough to handle a little bit of intimidation from his girlfriend's father."

I bit my lip, "Well...we aren't calling ourselves that yet."

She shrugged, "Still. So what does Mr Daimon have planned for tonight?"

"I don't know," I admitted with frustration. "I've been pestering him for the last week and he's yet to even give me a hint beyond 'there will be food'." I smoothed down my dress, "I'm probably dressed wrong."

"You look spectacular," She hugged me. "I am so sorry that we let you stay unhappy. You were so determined to stay at Ashton..." She shook her head, "You'll never know how utterly proud I am and how thankful I've been since you met Heath and River."

"I didn't realise how much I'd let it all get to me. Only a few months and I'll be packing for college," I murmured, suddenly realising that there was so much coming that I wasn't sure if I was ready.

"That's a conversation for another day, sweetie." Her lips tilted shakily. "We'd better not leave the two of them alone for long."

"I thought you said..."

"I know but your father does have a gun."

"MUM!"

She chuckled and pushed me towards my bedroom door, "Let's not keep your young man waiting."

I accepted the small purse that she handed over and walked carefully out into the hall and down the set of stairs, still a little unsure in my wedge heels.

I could hear the murmur of male voices before I reached the main entrance, my eyes widening as I listened to my father explain exactly what might happen if anything occurred while we were out.

"No one will ever find the body. In fact, I have a contact who knows how to dissolve..."

"Timothy!" My mum shot past me, announcing our arrival and interrupting his spiel. She clapped happily, "Look how handsome you are, Heath!"

And, oh god, she was right.

He stood a safe distance from the rifle in my father's hands, dressed in pressed black trousers, a black button-up. Everything about him caught at me and I forgot my parents, forgot that staring probably made me look like an idiot.

His long sleeves were rolled up to his elbow and the top button on shirt was undone, allowing a small V of skin to show teasingly.

"Wow."

I wasn't sure which of us had spoken but the noise seemed to snap me out of my daze, my cheeks flushing as I peered over to see my father glaring and my mother's eyes twinkling dreamily.

Heath walked forward slowly until he could hover a hand over my cheek, "You are..." He swallowed, "Alira, you look amazing."

Daddy grumped, "There had better not be a hair out of place when you bring her back either."