Chapter Thirty Five - There's Something About Alira

Heath

The look on her face when she admitted that she practically thought of herself as a waste and worthless almost broke my fucking my heart. How can anyone as amazing as her think that people in the future wouldn't like and love her just because a bunch of skanks in high school didn't?

My fingers as a mind of their own as they stroked along her cheeks, the tears clinging to her eyelashes making me want to hit something. Why were people so cruel? What had Miranda been thinking when she decided to terrorize an innocent girl who wanted nothing more than to be accepted for she was, not what she could buy?

But I knew - Miranda had gone into Ashton thinking that she would be the gorgeous one - the tough bitch who every girl wanted to be and every guy wanted to be with.

Then she had obviously seen Alira - a brown eyed, black haired beauty who possessed a kind heart. She had obviously known that if Alira was allowed to climb the ranks, Miranda would face down some tough competition.

"Shh, Kitten. It doesn't prove that you are worthless - all that proves is that Miranda is a bitch and every student that listens to her is weak and a dumbass." Impulsively and wanting to, for a moment, show her how much I believed in her, I leaned in to kiss the corner of her mouth, "You are worth it, Kitten."

She sighed and slumped slightly in my hold, making me want to pull her as close as possible. It was fucking crazy - the most insane thing I had ever done but something about this girl, my brother's friend had drawn me in and grabbed me by the balls. I wanted her, I think I had made that obvious but after only three days of knowing her, I felt like a teenager fretting over his first love.

After twenty one years of avoiding any kind of attachment to a female it had only taken me three days to feel as though the centre of my universe had shifted.

And how fucking corny was that?

She muttered a quiet "You barely know me," before she asked "Why are you here, Heath?"

Never one to really waste time, I felt one side of my mouth kick up as I tried to control the sweating of my palms and the fast pace of my heart. "Miranda took one look at you and decided to hate you. Our meeting wasn't any better than that one since I treated you so badly but let me tell you right now, Alira - I took one look at you and felt my heart skip a beat."

I winced at the girly wording before ignoring her gasped, "What?" and dropping my mouth onto her own. Why spend all afternoon trying to convince her that I liked her when kissing the shit out of her would work?

I started out by gently rubbing my lips over hers, stopping her from moving backwards by digging my fingers through her hair. If it turned out that she didn't feel the same, I at least wanted to savour this moment for as long as possible.

I felt the small trembles running through her body as I pressed slightly harder, my lips opening slightly over her own.

I knew from the things that River had told me that she had no experience with guys - which I was thankful for since it would be embarrassing to admit that I didn't have very much experience myself - with girls of course. Probably hard for anyone to believe but my mother had always raised me to respect both myself and women.

I had to admit that Alira wasn't the first girl that I had kissed and I wasn't a virgin but what I had never shared was the fact that I don't remember the night that I took Annie to bed when I was nineteen and there had been no one since her.

What was it about today's society that pressured men and women to put notches in their bedpost - I was a healthy male who had lusted over girls but I didn't see what was so important about 'scoring'. I wouldn't be one to brag and I hated the thought of letting strangers that close to my body.

Was I pathetic? Maybe.

Did I give a shit? No.

As my tongue ghosted over her lips, I tasted tears and my heart clenched.

I pulled back and rested my forehead against her own, "Alira. Please don't cry."

She blew out, "Whyyy..."

I dragged her into my arms, "Because I like you and because I think that you're beautiful. I'm not trying to get you into bed or play you, I swear."

"But...but..."

I sighed, "Alira, you don't need to say anything unless you need to tell me that what I feel is completely one-sided. Should I leave you alone?"

She took a long moment before slipping her small arms around my waist, "I don't know what I feel exactly, but I...I like you too, Heath."

I seriously wanted to do a fucking fist pump but I simply grinned, my reflection in the nearby window.

We hadn't made a commitment and I knew that there might be issues to overcome but for right now I was happy to stand in Alira's ridiculously large mansion and hold her in my arms while River kept her mother distracted downstairs.