Chapter Ten - Big Brother

Heath

Looking my father over, I simply shook my head and crossed my arms over my chest. For the entirety of my life, the man had been my hero but he had his faults and the incessant need to fiddle with things was one of them.

Only a week ago, I had to sneak in a private contractor because my Dad had decided that we needed to extend the back garden; it had been a valid idea since I knew that my mother loved the roses she already had out there, but Dad had gone and started digging up the ground without checking for pipes - he'd caused a flood that filled half the backyard.

His sheepish smile turned into a full grin as he spotted the tiny brunette gaping at him from across the room.

"Alira," he cried, walking towards her with open arms. He seemed to forget that he was currently covered in some sort of black dust and she was nicely dressed in a dark grey dress - an outfit not designed to withstand any hugs from a crazy man after he'd just destroyed our garage and killed the electrical lines.

I watched as her eyes widened slightly before she turned to my mother, River and I in a panic - it was odd that she hadn't simply told the man to back off or even just moved away, but she simply stood there and waited.

"Marcus!" Mum snapped, "Don't touch her whilst you're coated in that stuff - you'll wreck her clothes and most likely frighten her off."

Dad stopped with his arms still outstretched and his face falling as he took in the sight of his clothing and hands, "Oh, yes. Sorry about that." He murmured, looking down into her face as she continued to stare with widened eyes and a small smile.

"Its fine," she answered softly, offering a tiny hand, "It's wonderful to meet you, Mr Daimon."

We all watched as my father gently grasped Alira's hand between both of his and squeezed, "Wonderful to meet you as well. Welcome to our home."

Her smiled bloomed, arresting me as her eyes seemed to sparkle with sincerity, "Thank you. Are you ok?"

"Oh don't worry about me, Sweetie," he chuckled, using his grip to drag her closer to where we all still stood.

"Marcus," Mum snapped once more, "You could have killed yourself this time! Haven't I told you to stay away from the electrical wiring?"

All of us could see that she was trembling slightly - my mother had gotten used to her husband's incurable curiosity and ability to destroy things but there were occasional times where he pushed it too far.

"Keira," he murmured, finally releasing his hold on our guest so that he could step over and pull my frightened mother from the room for a moment of privacy.

River's eyes followed them, his face both worried and exasperated, "Is it just me or is he getting worse?" He asked me.

I shrugged and kept my eyes on Alira as she tried to decide where to look - I felt slightly guilty at the way I had greeted her although I felt my suspicion was warranted. River had only known the girl for two weeks and he was already trusting her?

I had to admit that she already seemed different than any of the girls I had met since I had started my career but protecting my family was my duty and I wouldn't accept her freely into my home until she had shown me that she wasn't after money or fifteen minutes of fame.

"Should I go?" Her voice came across hesitantly as she stepped closer to River without trying to make it look like she was trying to move away from me.

My brother looked down at her blankly before shaking his head, "What? No! Everything's fine. Mum and Dad will be back once they've found an electrician and Dad's cleaned up."

"So this is normal for you?" She tried to keep her eyes on him but I saw the way that she would try to peek over at me from the corner of her eyes.

I smirked as I noticed her cheeks bloom with colour as she realised that my attention wasn't dissipating. Although I didn't want to see River disappointed or have him pissed at me, as long as Alira associated with my family, she was going to find herself with a shadow.

Since the day that River had started talking about her over dinner, I had bombarded him with questions trying to keep him wary. I hated the way that we had to live our lives but being who I was, we had no choice.

I loved my profession, loved that all my hard work and determination had paid off and I was able to provide my family with a lifestyle that we'd never known, but I despised all the strings that popularity and fame came with.

I hated the rumours that people felt they had the right to circulate just so they could attach my name to theirs - and the thing I fucking hated the most was having to watch my family get smashed on all sides.

In the end, it had seemed like a relief to everyone that we pack up and move. Admittedly, I hadn't thought the location over very well since River had told me about how all the little shits in his school had reacted to his enrolment but my mother had seen a picture of the house one day and fallen in love.

She hadn't said anything, hadn't asked me to buy it but I knew - her eyes had filled with excitement as she poured over the photographs and I had had made my decision. That woman deserved everything for raising me and standing by me through it all.

The next day I had order my accountant to make the purchase and within two weeks I was handing over the deed and a set of keys.

There wasn't anything I wouldn't do to protect them even if it meant destroying the one friend that my brother had in this town.