Chapter Fourteen - Background Check

Heath finished the impromptu tour by leading me to the closed door of River's room where we could both hear the sounds of some sort of video game.

I turned to look up at the attractive professional fighter, "Thanks." I murmured, now uncomfortable by the way his slight smile made my cheeks heat up.

He flicked one of my curls, "No problem, Kitten. If anyone asks, I'm out in my gym and I'll be back in for dinner."

"Sure," I smiled slightly as I watched him turn back down the hallway until he reached the stairs.

I drew in a deep breath and knocked on the door - Heath had explained that River knew where we had been since I had walked away from him but I was suddenly unsure of my welcome.

I waited for a moment, knocking once more when it became obvious that he either hadn't heard the first time or was choosing to ignore me.

After everything that Heath had admitted to and the way that River had forced his brother into apologising, I was convinced that if I was being thrown to the side, it would be after being told firsthand.

"Come in," I finally heard muffled through the door.

I rolled my eyes and twisted the knob to push my way in, cautious since I didn't know what to expect from a boy's bedroom.

The volume of the television nearly knocked me over as I stepped through and closed the door behind me.

The room was larger than what I had thought but I quickly realised that even with the queen size bed, entertainment area with full lounge set and desk, it was still a good deal smaller than my own.

"This is nice," I murmured to myself as I took in the warm white walls and blue accents - it was immediately apparent that River's favourite colour was navy blue since everything from the quilt to the curtains matched.

I turned to the lounge where my friend had paused the game to look over his shoulder at me while I absorbed everything. It felt strangely intimate to be standing in the one space where everything represented him and the kind of person that he was.

His eyes were dull and guarded, "Hi Riri."

Disliking the way his voice sounded defeated, I trotted around the side of the couch and loosely dropped down next to him before I gave him a bright smile, "What a day? Your family is almost as awesome as mine."

His brow furrowed, "What?"

I chuckled and poked him in the stomach, "Did you think that I was coming in here to 'rip your balls off again' as Heath eloquently put it?"

"Well, yeah. I figured after he told you about the background check I had done, you would be majorly pissed."

Everything froze as I tried to process his words, his confession, "What background check? What are you talking about?"

I would have worried about the way that his face paled if not for the sudden tightness in my chest and the way my stomach rolled. "You had me investigated?"

"I thought that Heath would have told you."

I shook my head and moved so that my leg no longer pressed against him, "When did you have it done?"

He dropped the Xbox remote onto the coffee table as he slowly faced me completely, "My uncle runs a security company and after my first day at the high school, I called him about you."

My breath puffed slightly, "So you know who I am? You know who my parents are?"

He nodded, his eyes tracking the way that face contorted.