Chapter Fifteen - The Man Card

I stretched myself across River's bed as I listened to him swear at the television, "So is this what the famous River Daimon does in his spare time?"

"Are you bored?" He yelled over the sound of explosions.

I sighed and looked up at the ceiling. No, I wasn't bored but I had forgotten that my expectations of hanging out were different to his since being of different genders, we both were going to enjoy diverse things.

"Alira?"

I jerked when his face suddenly appeared over mine and upside down - he'd paused the game so that music still played and I hadn't noticed as he moved from the couch.

He grinned, "Whoops. Didn't mean to startle you but you never answered my question. Are you bored?"

I reached up to poke him on the cheek, "No but I kind of forgot that you weren't a girl and therefore wouldn't consider doing girlfriend things."

He moved to the side of the bed and gently pushed me over so that he could stretch out on his back next to me, "What kind of things would you like to do?"

I tried to shrug although I found it hard lying down, "I don't know. Aren't I supposed to want to do makeovers and crap like that?" I looked towards him to gauge his reaction.

His face screwed up, "Don't you have your mother for that? I mean she is in the fashion industry - it's not like I wouldn't make the sacrifice and let you trial your lip gloss on me but I'd rather avoid losing my man card if possible."

I laughed and rolled onto my stomach with my upper body balanced on my elbows, "Your man card?" I looked at me, amused. "Seriously?"

His face was completely serious, "Hey, it's important to all males when we reach a certain age. It separates us - defines who we are. Allowing lip gloss to be applied when it's not from other, more enjoyable activities would definitely strip me of mine."

I groaned and dropped my head forward, "Where do you come up with shit?"

He knocked into me gently, "I'm not making it up - ask Heath."

I barked out a laugh, "Yes, because I'm going to interrupt your brother's training to ask him if he can whip out his man card for me to examine."

He grinned cheekily, "Well when you put it like that it sounds awfully naughty."

"Gah," I growled and playfully tried to smother him with the palm of my hand, "Tell me why I had to end up with a weird person as a friend again."

He dragged his glasses off to clean them as he lifted to a sitting position, "Fate, my love. Fate."

I just shook my head. Saying anything would only get me into more trouble. "So what else can we do besides delighting in digital explosions?"

"Well," he started, his voice turning pleading, "We could take that beautiful machine of yours out for a drive."

I stared up at him in surprise, "You want to go out? I thought we were meant to be spending time with your parents?"

He nodded, "We are and we will when dinner is ready but for now I think they're both in the garage trying to contain my father's latest disaster. Which means," he grinned, "we have at least a few hours to kill and I would love to see that lovely little thing in action."

I laughed in surprise, "Do you think I'll let you drive it?"

His eyelashes battered, "It be cruel if you didn't."

I moved so that I could push myself to my feet, "If that's what you want to do. I know a place where we don't have to worry about police."

He paused as he reached for a jumper which had been thrown over the head of the bed, "Seriously? Are you going to turn out to be the closet troublemaker? Do you wear leather when you're at home?" He gasped, "Do you have one of those leather bodice things?"

I just...stared, "Excuse me?"

"You're a total bad ass aren't you?"

I rolled my eyes and moved to the door where I stood impatiently waiting for him to drag himself out of whatever day dream he had fallen into.

He slung an arm over my shoulder as we travelled back down to the front door, "So you really are going to let me drive it, aren't you?"

"Not if you keep asking me if I secretly run with a bikie gang and spend my alone time cracking whips."

He pouted, "You have to admit..."

I stopped him by punching him none too gently in the stomach, "I don't have to admit to anything, weirdo. I don't let meanie's like you in my car," I paused. "Well, I've never let anyone in my car before."

His face grew serious as I saw something flash in his eyes, "Thank you." He murmured, opening his front door.

"For what?" I asked softly as we moved to where I had left my Spyder.

"For giving me a chance," he answered.

It gave me pause as I reached to pull the handle and he rounded to the other side, "Don't need to thank me for that."

He shook his head, "I'm tired, Alira. Tired all of all the bullshit and it's not even me in the spotlight. I just want something normal for a change."

I had to laugh gently, "You do realise that choosing to stick with me is going to end up anything but normal, right? If anyone at school were to find out who I am...well, let's just say that a lot of things will change and the attention on you would grow worse, not better." I gnawed at my lip. "Can you handle that?"

We both climbed into the car as he waved at the seats. "As long as you don't change, I can. I just want a friend."

"Well, you've got one now," I smiled as I dug the keys from my bag and turned the car on. "Now, how are you in cars that can hit 62 miles per hour in under three seconds?"