Chapter Thirty One - Taking Me Home

"I..." I shook my head, looking away, hoping that he would drive off.

"Alira," his voice was all growl, "Get in this goddamn car now!"

"Heath..."

"Now!"

I huffed and walked slowly around the front of the monster truck, being careful of my pained ribs.

Ignoring his grating impatience, it took more than a few goes to lift myself into the passenger seat. My entire body felt stiff and sore, and all I wanted to do was go home to soak before crawling into bed.

The moment that my seat belt was on, he roared out of the school parking lot.

"Heath," I drew in a breath, "What are you doing?"

His arm violently shifted gears before he shot me glance, "I don't know, Alira. My brother comes home alone on the bus to tell me that his only friend dumped him. He was fucking devastated."

I looked away, "Did he tell you everything? Did he tell you why I think that it's best for us to go our separate ways?"

"Oh, he mentioned something about an asshole principal threatening to have your identity leaked to the media – apparently you think that it will protect us."

I chuckled, "Principal Mathison is planning to try and cash in on my identity and when it all comes out, and your family will be thrown into the spotlight as well. I don't want that."

"That's bullshit. Your identity comes out and we'll be caught up regardless. Everyone at that school knows that the only person you've spoken to so far this year is River. Walking away now isn't going to change that, Kitten." His eyes flashed with frustration.

"But it could help a little – they'll realise that we aren't friends anymore and leave you all be after a week or so."

He made a noise, "You don't know that and you're fucking dreaming to think that River will just let you go off to face this without him. Friends stand by one another!"

I turned my face away, hoping that he wouldn't notice the tears that were trickling down my cheeks, "What about River's past? All those secrets that your family is hiding, they could be thrown out there for the world to see." I sobbed silently, "Wouldn't a good friend do everything to protect him?"

I felt a soft touch on my knee, "Alira, River knows his own mind and he's not weak. When he found out about your family, he knew what could happen if anyone found out who your parents are and he accepted that just as he accepts you."

My heart clenched, "Do you think so?"

His breath sounded loud as he blew it out, "We sat down with our parents and talked about it. He wanted to be open about what might be coming and each and every one of us agreed that we wouldn't let it hold us back from getting to know you. Three days and my parents fucking adore you – I'm sure that my mother is at home stress baking right now." He chuckled.