Chapter Thirty Nine - Do Bodyguards Carry Guns?

Trying to be discreet, I peered down the hallway and, seeing that everyone had headed to class, I pulled River out of the Janitor's closet and towards the administration office.

"You know," he whispered, "If anyone had just seen that, they would be thinking that you and I were hooking up."

I smirked, "Ah, but no one did see us so there's no need to worry."

"Yeah," He chuckled, "I'd hate to have to explain that rumour to Heath."

I waved a hand behind me until I managed to hit him, "Shh, someone will hear us." I smiled with amusement as we both began to creep against the wall, the ridiculousness of the situation delighting me. "And would you give the whole Heath and I thing a rest?! When he finds out that I'm going to help you meet up with Camilla, he's probably going to kick me to the curb."

A jerk on my hand had me almost tripping over my own feet, "He wouldn't play with you like that, Alira."

I glanced up at his face, "I don't think he'd play with me either but if something bad happens, he's going to be absolutely pissed that I let you go see her."

"I'm going to be eighteen in a few weeks, it's not like you could have stopped me." He grimaced, "If he does find out, I'll tell him that you didn't know anything about it."

I shook my head and turned away, "I won't lie to him or your parents."

He slipped his arms around my shoulders and chest, hugging me, "Thanks, RiRi."

"Yeah, yeah," I patted his hands. "Enough girly stuff. Let's go and try sneak up on my dad's bodyguards."

I could hear the grin in his voice, "Cause that sounds like a good idea. Do they carry guns?"

Rolling my eyes, I ducked as I noticed a teacher walk past her classroom's window, "Of course, what would be the point of them if they weren't prepared for trouble?"

"I have no idea," he grumbled, "I just don't feel like getting shot."

"I doubt that they're going to pull a gun on either of us," I paused and bit my lip, "Unless Thorn is in a bad mood."

At his dramatic groan, I decided to stay quiet. Unfortunately, I wasn't exactly joking about the most dangerous of the bodyguards – if his mood was foul enough, he tended to like scaring the crap out of people when they were stupid enough to set him off.

Spotting Nicholas lounging outside of the office's main entrance, I straightened my clothes and stepped away from my hiding space. There was no one around to overhear our conversation and I didn't want to have to hide the fact that there was more to the Blackbourne Investigation than what people already thought.

I slipped my arm through River's and walked casually up to the large man who watched us with a great deal of amusement, "Well, hello. What can I do for you, love?"

River seemed to grunt but I just returned the smile. "I was wondering if I could go in and speak to my Dad."

Nicholas grinned, "Curious about whether Thorn has been allowed access to your principal?"

I laughed, "I had wondered if he volunteered for this assignment. He always seems ready to hit the bad guys."

"Only when it counts, love." He turned around and spoke quietly into a microphone on his shirt before winking at us and sending River a sly smirk. "Your father says that it's fine for you both to go in but he's going to want to know why you're out of class."

I grimaced and preceded River into the outer anteroom of the school's Admin area. Ms Coole, the receptionist, was conspicuously missing as I continued down the small hallway to where I spotted Cole and Morgan guarding the Principal's office.

Both of them wore bright, friendly smiles as they watched us both walk towards them.

"Well," Cole called, happily. "Look at you sweetie! Out of that horrible black outfit and into something cute for once."

"Hi Cole, Morgan." I waved at River as he tried not to waiver under their assessing gazes, "This is my friend, River."

"Nice to meet you," He greeted them both, his glasses slipping as they offered their hands in welcome.

"Nicholas said that you wanted to talk to your Dad," Morgan murmured, his amazingly gorgeous eyes sparking. "He and Thorn are in with Mr Mathison at the moment but he said that you could stay out here with us until the end of their meeting, if you'd like."

"Did he explain what was going on?" I asked.

"Course he did," Cole laughed, "Thorn was practically rubbing his hands together as being able to take on a corrupt fucking principal. It's his bread and butter."

I tilted my head in confusion.

Morgan shook his head, "Let's just say that we've had experience."

I nodded and let it go as I pulled River into a side opposite the two bodyguards. "So how have things been?" I perked up, "How's Sorena?"

They exchanged glances at the mention of their new secretary, gazes loaded with unreadable stories.

"She's an angel," Morgan answered quietly, "I don't know how we survived without her."

"And," Cole dropped onto the floor, "She fucking loves the clothes that your mother sent over."

I smiled at him before answering the silent questions from River, "When they hired Sorena, she didn't have much in the way of clothes, so Cole and Morgan asked my mother if she could have some of her prototypes from her old design lines."

"Ah," he nodded. "That was nice of her."

I shrugged, "They were just sitting there." I turned back to the others, "Will you bring her over one day to visit?"

Cole nodded, "Absolutely. I think she'd love having a movie night in your entertainment room."

I laughed, my body jerking in surprise as the door behind Morgan and Cole was suddenly thrown open, Thorn looking down at me with a fierce glare, "Get in here, cub."