Chapter Five - Dropping the Queen Bee

A flush spread across my cheeks in reaction to Miranda's insult but I was suitably side tracked as River suddenly pushed back from the table and leapt to his feet, thus dumping the cheerleader to the ground.

An immediate silence filled the cafeteria as each and every student paused with bated breath. No one had ever done such a thing to the popular blonde and for anyone who knew what she was really like, we all waited for her to explode.

"Sorry about that," River spoke up, making no move to help the girl to her feet, "I'm a bit jumpy when people startle me. Are you okay?"

Miranda's entire face was red but I saw her attempt a smile as she carefully wiped the back of her skirt, perhaps trying to draw attention to her curves. "Its fine," she drawled sweetly, "I'm sure that you get those reflexes from your brother although I'm sure he would have been able to catch me." She giggled, fluttering her eyelashes as River stared down at her with a blank expression.

He cleared his throat, "Maybe."

I hadn't moved from my seat and as Miranda and her circle glanced at me, I locked my gaze on the table. I was entirely hopeful that they would all disappear even as I felt my heart clench at losing River's company; he hadn't exactly enamoured himself to me but so far he seemed to be the only one brave enough to stay with me even after he knew all about the rumours and my reputation.

"You should come and sit with me," Miranda's voice took on a purring quality, "the girls and I would make you feel very welcome."

I tried not to choke on air; she dared call me easy and free with my attentions?

Any guy in the school, and perhaps any one out of it, would probably jump at the opportunity to accept that invitation and I honestly believed that River would follow after her but all he did was cough politely.

I peeked up and saw that he had stepped around her to seat himself back down across from me.

"Thank you for the invite but I'm already comfortable here and I prefer to stay with Alira," he winked at me, not taking any notice of the way Miranda's eyes sharpened, "She is my guide after all."

I think my face froze; I was stunned, shocked, delighted and absolutely petrified because the look on the Queen's face turned dark as she glared at me with some sort of blinding hatred. I was going to suffer from his decision.

"Fine," she flicked her hair, smiling for him alone, "I'm sure you'll change your mind tomorrow. Please send your brother my hellos, I'm sure we'll be meeting in the near future since I know that you and I will be such great friends."

River's face twisted before he sent her a polite smile, "I'll be sure to do that. It was Mirror, wasn't it? A strange name but I'm sure that it fits you; so...reflective, yes?"

I tried to hold in a shocked snort as the cheerleaders all covered their mouths after releasing an almost choreographed gasp.

Miranda's face mottled as she tried valiantly to hold onto her sweet smile, "Miranda. My name is Miranda."

River gave her a vague once over, "Ah, sure. Thanks for saying hello."

He abruptly turned his back to her and picked up his half eaten sandwich, offering me an apple with the other hand.

I automatically accepted it while my eyes kept track of the no doubt furious popular girl as she shifted her glare equally between my face and the back of River's head. Since I knew that she wanted a definite in to the Daimon family, River would suffer none of her wrath but my situation was something altogether different.

"What have you done?" I hissed at him, as the cheerleaders all moved away to their usual table.

He glanced at me as he swallowed down his food, "What? Don't you like apples?" He nodded at the untouched fruit clutched in my fingers.

I angrily took a bite, secretly relieved that I would at least have something to fill my stomach for the remainder of the day.

"Do you not know who that was?" I tried not to spit at him.

He studied my face, "The 'popular' girl, yes?" I nodded, "From your reaction, I am going to take a guess and say that she is the one who has perpetuated all the rumours about you; thus encouraging your deep hatred of school and guaranteeing that you are unable to make any friends."

I simply stared back at him as he calmly picked up a bottle of water, "A brilliant deduction." I drawled, sarcastically. "And you have just made it worse by choosing to stay with me instead of moving off with her. They would have given you a hell of a good time."

He shrugged, "I'm sure she would have but I don't particularly aspire to slipping into bed with some high school whore just so she have a go at my older brother."

"Is he really such a catch?" I asked, curious and trying to distract myself.

"He's made his fortune through his achievements and I've heard from countless sources that he is very attractive. Would you like to meet him?" His eyes watched me carefully, no doubt looking for the usual swooning female reaction.

I simply threw my apple core at him, "Like I said before, I don't give two shits about your family. Congratulations are due to him for being successful but I've never cared about attracting a male's attention and I will not start now." I pushed back my chair so that I could jump to my feet but he clapped a hand over my fingers.

"Sit down. I'm sorry for doing that to you but I still find it hard to believe. I won't mention him again if that is your wish."

I blew out a breath, "Fine. Now tell me why you riled Miranda up like that when you had already guessed she was a bitch?"

He grinned, his face handsome, "I don't like to be touched like that when I haven't invited it and I hate people like her. Two-faced girls who think that they will get whatever they want by having a pretty face and willingness to spread their legs."

I smiled back at him, shaking my head, "You're an idiot."

"Can't let the evil witch pick on my only friend, can I?"

"Are we friends, then?" I asked, unsure what I wanted as the answer.

His smiled widened, "Oh, we're going to be the best of friends, Alira."

I giggled, "Definitely an idiot."