(6) Departure At Last

(Circe's P.O.V)

There isn't much that you can do when addressed by the Dragon King other than to dip your head in a bow and pray that you hadn't done anything offensive.

With my face looking down at Anthemin's neck and unwilling to look up again, millions of things were rushing through my mind, yet as I gingerly looked upwards and into the largest eyeball in the world, one stupid sentence managed to find it's way out of my mouth.

"This ... this isn't part of today's lesson is it Sir?"

Unabonan let out a quiet groan beside me and I gulped. It was official, I was going to die.

The eye did not waver from my face however and his reply was quite serious.

No Child, this is no lesson. This is most serious, and you have my sincere apologies that more time was not spent on your education.

His pupil swiveled a miniscule amount until it was set upon Unabonan.

Has the Queen been notified?

Yes Great Father. They fly with great haste to join us.

And Orga er' ?

It wait's outside our borders, Narmonlanya, we have been monitoring it diligently. There is no possible way that it could have been them. And such foolish actions when they only have one ship against two Kingdoms? It would be suicide.

The eye blinked in agreement.

Your judgment is great Nessa Sgiathatch. You have done well to think quickly under such circumstances. When the Queen arrives you shall accompany her with your chosen party and leave on the Ships immediately.

But Father, the Child-

The rumbling voice turned grave and was filled with a sadness that burnt my heart.

For now there is nothing we can do. Dragons are already searching, but so far no lead has been found. What we can do however, is alert the Queen-who-lives-below-the-waves. She must know the act of the Dhaeraow is repeating itself.

There was a collective intake of breath at his words and Dragons began calling out from around the circle in protest.

No Great Father it cannot be-

Narmonlanya, say that it is not true!

How can this happen again? To us!

The Dhaeraow was slain by his own kin, how can he rise?

The Dragon King pulled his neck away from us and pointed his giant head towards the heavens.

Silence my Children! Now is the time for actions not for words of doubt. We must stick together and stay strong, just as we have done so before. If the time comes, the Elders will rise to my aid. I will not let one of our own suffer again!!

Roars of agreement poured out from the circle at his words, Anthemin below me joining in with the cheers, small flames shooting out from his nostrils as he did.

My Son, Prince Unabonan, has volunteered to go forth with the Air Nomads to voyage to the Kingdom under the Sea. Our Warriors, please come forth for your chance to be selected to join this party.

I watched as instantly, just under half of the Dragons, still surrounding the Dragon King, flew forward slightly, while the rest retreated half a length, bowing their heads in submission.

Anthemin was panting slightly now with the effort of staying in one place, up in the air for so long, and I instantly felt guilty for my extra weight, but before I had the chance to say anything he had flown forward slightly to join the rest of the Warriors.