Part 32

It was no surprise to Josiph that the end was coming. His breath was becoming shallow and his heart raced trying to hard to pump the needed blood throughout his body even when there was so little left. Lungs burned while they tried to force oxygen so desperately needed to survive but unable to find. It was terrifying because no one wanted to die, and yet Death called to him like a mother calling for her child. But even with Death's voice being so loud he could still hear someone else's voice. Still Josiph walked closer and closer to her.

It was like she was singing a beautiful song to Josiph. Her voice so soft and so sweet and her eyes so welcoming. They just seemed to call to him, but it wasn't her voice Josiph would hear heard. It was his voice.

"Josiph get up!" he called desperately. "Get up, damn it." He sounded so close, and yet so far away at the same time. It was hard knowing if he knew that Death called to him, but maybe that was also why he was yelling so much. It didn't really matter why he called because even then Josiph couldn't seem to move his legs, let alone feel them. "Move!"

"Geez, Lucas," another voice came. It sounded like Derek but couldn't be so sure. Then again it was hard figuring anything out with the singing in his head and how close she kept getting. She was so pretty. Her eyes glowing with love. WHat would she do if Josiph were to join her? How would life be? Would life be like what it was with Lucas?

"He needs to move." It was Lucas again. His voice sounded in the back of Josiph's head waking memories. His mate. The only one who could see him for him, and be happy with him With him Josiph knew that his life was complete, but without him he had nothing. Josiph was nothing without him.

Death moved back a little thinking when Josiph thought about him. She didn't seem to like the good memories of him even if there was so few. There should be more memories like of Tyler the young boy they were planning on adopting in the next year. Would Josiph ever get those sort of memories with Lucas, or was this the end?

"We know this, but he won't," Derek said, sadly. "His rib is broken and he punctured his lung. He's lucky to still be alive as it is," Derek went on. His words were confusing and yet still rang with the truth.

Who were they even talking about? Was it him or was someone else there with him?

"And if he doesn't move he won't be alive soon," Lucas said. A break in his voice sounded across Josiph's head causing more pain.

"And if you don't calm down we'll have to restrain you," Derek rushed quickly.

Silence came after that. Was the end already here? Was Lucas waiting for him beside Death? He couldn't even be seen, but he had to be there. Josiph refused to ever leave him.

"What if he isn't there?" Josiph then asked myself. He was talking mostly to his wolf now because if Lucas was not there than he would be breaking a promise he made.

"Kiana!" It was him again. His voice sounded so sad, so heart broken. Tears ran down Josiph's face because he felt bad for him and wished there was something he could do. Death was so close now. "Do something!"

From a distance water splashing on the ground could be heard. It was twenty feet away, and yet still it sounded close by. More drops fell, some closer, others further away. At first they sounded like rain drops but soon he realized that the sound was actually tears falling. They seemed so close now, and yet so far away.

Was it something he had said, or was Death that close to Josiph and that for the last few seconds of life she was giving him a chance to live again.

"Don't just sit there!"

"I'm serious, Lucas. They will take you out of here if they need to," Derek said, urging him to stop.

'Don't take him out of here," Josiph begged in what he hoped was a scream. He didn't want Lucas to be taken away and instead wanted him to stay.

"Kiana, will you do something!" he yelled again. What was Kiana supposed to do? Was she death? "Kiana!"

"I can't," a soft voice spoke. This must be the Kiana he's talking about. Her voice spoke of the pain she felt.

"You can! Don't just let him die when you can do something!" Lucas yelled just as another tear hit the ground. It was his tear. The tear his the ground once again and pain came rushing in at Josiph. His pain. Lucas's pain.

"I can't."

"Kiana!" he screamed, begging.

"Welcome home sweetie." It was Death's voice now. Her hands sticking out for Josiph to grab. She wanted him to come to her, to join her. Her arms spoke of the warmth she would give and her eyes of the kindness she would share.

"Please Kiana, don't let him die," Lucas begged. Josiph turned around expecting to see him behind him and instead he seen only happiness. The other side of death. This was known as life.

"Don't worry he will join us," Death replied with a smile putting her hand under Josiph's chin and forced him to look at her again. Her sharp nails dug into his chin when he looked up and her smile was king, and yet at the same time something seemed wrong. It was like she was trying to hypnotize him, and keep him around.

"Are you sure he will be there?" Josiph asked her trying to look behind himself again, but her sharp nails dug further into his chin not allowing him to turn around.

"Of course he will be there," she said kindly. "That's why he calls for you. He wants you and he's afraid you'll leave him."

"I'm not going to leave him," Josiph replied smoothly. "I would never leave him."

"Then follow. He's on the other side waiting for you," Death said one last time before she turned away and walked down the thin path behind her. Slowly Josiph followed behind her still not sure if he should follow or not, and yet at the same time he couldn't help but follow her.

"Damn," Kiana said, "I guess it really is time t-" Her voice got softer and softer until there was nothing left but the wind, and that's when the bright white light could be seen.

This is it, Josiph thought to himself with a smile stopping just before the bright white light. He didn't flinch away from the light even though it was so intense and instead just moved close to it.

"I love you Lucas," He whispered, before everything went black.