Part 9

In the kitchen, Josiph stood standing waiting for his father to say something, but nothing came. Instead Paul didn't even look at Josiph, and the pain of that could be seen in Josiph's eyes. Even Maggie said nothing, but at least she looked at her son once in awhile with some sort of smile, no matter how fake it might have been. And for several minutes Paul attempted to try and speak, but each time no words came from his mouth.

Eventually it was Josiph who began speaking, and while speaking Paul turned to him, "I know what you are going to say father. And before either of you actually say anything, I would like to say a few things. As you already know, Lucas is my mate or at least that is what my wolf keeps telling me." Josiph grimace at this, while his wolf growls at him for thinking ill of his mate. "At the moment, I am not sure what his wolf tells him, but I am pretty sure that his wolf says the exact same thing. I haven't exactly asked him about it either," he said in a low voice. "The second thing, I would like to say is that I am nervous as hell, and I have no idea what's going to happen. As much as I would like to hide away like I used to when I was a young kid, I know that I can't do that anymore. I have to face this head on sometime, sooner or later, even if I'm scared. I know I am not alone in any of this, and I just need to face everything. As the alpha, I need to do this."

Like Josiph, Paul always feared messing something up in his power. He feared saying one wrong word to anyone and starting a war, as well as messing up a long term alliance. It was a fear that every alpha has to face in his time of power.

At the end of Josiph's speech he could see Paul smiling. "At least you are able to admit it to me. I could barely even do that to my own father years ago," he said, proud of his son. "I know that you are nervous, and I can see it in your eyes, but I also understand it as well."

"How?"

Shrugging Paul said, "You are a new alpha so that alone is stressful. I had to deal with that too. But on top of that, your mate is not a woman. This hasn't been in any history books in our pack, let alone in any packs I've heard of. This makes things way more stressful."

"Then why me?" Josiph asked. "If it has never been reported in any other packs then why would it happen now? To me?"

"I am sure you will find the answer to that one on your own. I have no idea myself, but there has to be a reason for it," Paul replied. "Why don't you first start by talking to Lucas? Maybe he has some questions or even answers that either of you are looking for? If he does not, then you will both figure it out eventually, together."

"Yes, there is a reason for everything, son," Maggie said, agreeing with her husband.

"I know there is mother." Josiph smiled at his mother. "I just wish someone would give me a hint on why this is happening."

"Eventually you will get your hint, but for now you have to figure things out on your own with Lucas," she said before adding, "just speak to Lucas and figure things out together. Even if you don't officially mate, which you shouldn't do before the ceremony anyways, you can still talk."

Josiph nodded. "I know. I'll talk to Lucas, the sooner I do, the better. We just have to have an understanding and figure things out, together."

"That would be best," the two said in unison. Paul's voice was a bit louder than Maggie's voice was, but both could still be heard.

"I will let you both know how everything turns out." Josiph grinned, before stepping away from his parents and walking across the room into the dining room where the rest of the group was sitting and eating dinner.

"Do you want to join us?" Kiana asked. She was the first in the group to notice that Josiph had entered the room even though it was obvious that Lucas had noticed him too. He just happened to turn his head away at the last second to hide it.