Part 16

It was the day of the full moon festivities and everyone was waiting patiently for the races to commence. Hank and Trish did not show up justa s Josiph had said, but still the day went on without them. Josiph stood near the edge of the forest line watching as everyone had their fill of food for the day. Soon the races would begin and everyone was waiting patiently for the biggest race of them all. Children lined the edge of the forest ready to take their first transformation in front of their parents, and behind them stood their expecting loved ones watching.

This was a big day for everyone, and everyone was just waiting for it. It was a time for every child to see their wolf for the very first time and after that they would join in on the normal classes of running in the forest or on the tracks with other wolves. This night would be a jump in if they were ready, or if they still had time to wait. It was a day everyone feared, but loved at the same time.

With this change come some other benefits. For one the change signified that the young wolf was now ready to find a mate, and even though they were not allowed to settle down until the age of eighteen they still looked forward to it. However, even though this first change would be amazing it would also be the most painful, and that is why the alpha had to attend the first transformation, and why parents stood behind their excited teens. Bones would snap during the phase and sometimes break during the transformation as the body accommodated to the growing wolf's needs, and everyone was warned of just what might happen while going through the change.

Sadly if a break did occur those children would not be allowed to run, and instead would return back with Maggie and Paul to heal for the night. Luckily the healing process only took a few hours, and once complete they were able to join in with the run again. This time with their parents until everyone catches up. However, the teen would have to wait until the next full moon and take the change again before they would be considered pack. It was a rule to make sure that all teens were perfectly fine they had been injured the first time.

"Is everyone ready?" Josiph yelled to the crowed. It was almost time for the run, and after came the races. Maggie and Paul stood beside him waiting to see if they were needed.

As expected the children hooted in excitement. They were as ready as ever to take this first change. A change they would never forget. Even Hunter, who stood the closest to Josiph's parents was excited about the change. He just wanted to be like all the other wolves in his pack, and was ready to get started.

"Let's get going then," Josiph shouted over the young hollers. He waited until all the voices died down before speaking again and looking at every student in line. "We will walk for about a mile into the woods and once we all make it to the correct clearing you will make your first transformation." Students nodded in understanding as to how things would work so Josiph went on, "If you are to get hurt or not take transformation than you will go back to the house with my parents. The rest of you will wait until everyone in the pack has transformed ourselves before we head out on the run. Understood?"

"Yes." Students replied in unision. It was as if they had all been practicing to make one single word even when it was many.

"Alright. Let's get going then."

Lucas turned around and began walking deeper into the woods with everyone following close behind. Children chattered in excitement as they neared the spot of transformation. "No one has seen Kiana, Lucas and Steve since last night." Derek told Josiph when he was able to catch up. "They've seem to just disappear."

"I've heard." Josiph replied not looking to Derek as he walked over an old decaying log.

"Why do you think that is?" Derek asked.