Chapter 23

One hour later Dom was in the air heading towards New Zealand. It was times like this that he was glad that his family did have plenty of cash to spare. Once he had decided he just needed to get to Auckland, his mind cleared and he knew exactly what he needed to do. He called Luke and told him what had happened. Dom didn't know how to contact Jackie's mother but knew that Luke would have her contact details, as her next of kin for work.

Dom had arranged for a private jet to fly him over the Tasman Sea. It was much quicker than waiting for the next available flight. He had visions of Jackie being unconscious and didn't know how bad her injuries were. Please don't die on me Jackie, Please don't die. Dom knew it would take at least another couple of hours before Jackie's mother could make it up to Auckland, so he called his.

"Mum, It's Dom. There 's been a terrible accident and I need you to get to the hospital. Oh god, Jackie and the baby. Mum, I need to know if they are okay?"

"Woah slow down Dom. Slow down. What's happened?"

"Jackie must have flown back today. We had a fight this morning. She pregnant Mum and she's been in a car accident. I tried to call her to talk to her and the paramedic answered her phone. It had just happened. I don't know any other details other than they were taking her to Auckland Hospital. Please Mum, I need to know that she's going to be okay." Dom's voice was starting to crack and Marjorie could tell that he was panicking.

"Okay I'll head over there now. I'm not sure if they will let me see her though Dom. You know how strict they can be with the whole relatives only rule."

"I've told Luke to call her mother but she's in Waihi. She won't be there for another couple of hours. Mum just tell them you are her Mother-in-law."

"What?" Marjorie was stunned. "When did all this happen?"

"MUM! I need you to go now! I'll tell you everything when I get there."

"Okay. I'm on my way. I love you son. As soon as I hear anything I'll let you know."

"Thanks Mum. I love you too."

Marjorie got off the phone and headed for the garage. She grabbed the keys to Dom's Audi so that he could have a car there when he arrived.

Philip had been listening from the other room but couldn't hear all the details. He walked over to Marjorie. "Who was that on the phone?"

"It was Dom. Jackie's been in a terrible accident and is being taken to Auckland Hospital."

"You're not going up to see her are you? You know she's just out to get her hooks into our son, and our money." Philip was looking at Marjorie over the top of his reading glasses. He smelt of cigar smoke and whiskey.

"You mean just like you did to me?" Marjorie had had enough of her husband. It was time she took a stand. Marching up to her husband with eyes blazing she looked him square in the face. "Jackie is going to be our daughter-in-law, whether you like it or not Philip! And I know that the love she has for Dom must be something special, if she is still willing to marry our son even after everything you have put her through. I think it's you that needs to apologize to Jackie for what you did to her or you may risk losing not just your son and grandchild, but your wife as well!"

Philip took a step backwards as his wife approached him. He had never seen this side of her. She had always been agreeable and never shook the boat. He sat down abruptly in his high wing-backed leather chair as she delivered her sermon. He was gob-smacked and lost for words as he accepted that he could lose everything that he held dear.