Chapter 7

"I was wondering if I could see you for a moment Jackie. I was just driving by and thought I would pick up a couple more business cards, as discussed on Friday night?" Dom was standing behind her. "Save on postage."

Jackie turned around and glared at him. "Certainly Dom, I'll just go and get some for you." Jackie stormed off towards her office. She couldn't let him see the way her body was reacting to him right now. Not here, Not at work. Luckily Luke was at another meeting in the city. What would he think after Friday nights' antics and Dom showing up here this morning? No doubt he would still find out about it as the other staff are bound to talk in the lunch room. After entering her office and reaching over her desk to grab some business cards, Jackie turned to walk back out into the main foyer and realized that Dom had followed her. Startled she reached out and handed Dom the cards. "Please pass another one to your father for me. I mentioned in the email this morning that I would send him a fresh card along with your replacement."

"Jackie." Dom was pleading. The look in his eyes reminded her of a puppy in the window of a pet shop. "Why are you being so formal?"

"Dom, I thought I had explained this to you." Jackie had moved over to her sliding door and closed it. She didn't want anyone to hear what was going on between them. "I cannot see you outside of business."

"I thought this would count as business."

"On this occasion yes, it would. But you can't keep calling in to see me," Jackie scolded. "I have worked too hard to get where I am today to lose it all." Grimacing, Jackie instantly regretted her remark. She could see Dom crumple in front of her and she could feel a rush of fear wash over her body.

"You're job means that much to you?"

"Yes it does. It's my livelihood. It's what I have dreamed of doing all my life and I still have things that I want to achieve. I guess you could say this is my country pub." Jackie smiled trying to ease the tension that she could feel starting to build between them. She started to see a small smile ignite on Dom's face.

"I know I said I would leave it up to you to decided when and where we would meet again. The truth is I couldn't stop thinking about you all week-end Jackie. I needed to see you and I wasn't sure if you would even speak to me again."

"You are my client Dom, I still need to talk to you."

"What if I asked for my accounts to be transferred somewhere else?"

"Luke would have a fit. I think he suspects something already and asking for your accounts to be transferred now would confirm it to him." Jackie dropped her head and looked at the floor. She could feel the emotion starting to build inside her and threaten to spill over, she didn't know how to stop it. She didn't want Dom to think that her job comes before anything else because that was as far from the truth as it can get. But this situation was one she couldn't work out. "Dom, If circumstances were different...."

"Then, I would have a chance?" Dom's face lit up.

"Yes." Jackie admitted finally both to herself and to Dom. "I do think that you are a very interesting man Dom and if we had met under different circumstances then . . . . . maybe." Jackie suddenly felt like she was as light as the clouds and she allowed a small smile to grow on her face.

"You are beautiful when you smile," Dom whispered. "how about we go for a coffee. Surely you're allowed to have coffee with your clients. I've been out for coffee with Luke heaps of times before."

"Yes, but I do think that the two of us going for a coffee would be suspicious." Jackie wished she could say yes but was still afraid of what the staff in the office would think. "And besides I do have another appointment arriving shortly and I really do need to do some work before they arrive."

"What about dinner then?" Dom persisted.

"In a public place...... just the two of us?"

"I have a small yacht moored at the marina. It would be discreet."

Jackie's heart was racing as she started to imagine what would eventually happen between them, alone, on a private yacht. "I, uh, don't know Dom"

"Okay so maybe a little intimate for a first date then. How about a private room at a local café? I know the manager at this really cool little café down by the waterfront." Dom was looking at her with those puppy dog eyes again. She could feel the excitement rising in her chest even though every cell in her brain was screaming at her to say no!

"Okay," Jackie finally relented. "But I will meet you there."

"Great." Dom literally jumped out if his chair with the joy of a school boy that had just found out he had made the top sports team. "How does 8 o'clock sound, tonight"

"Tonight?" Jackie was a little surprised.

"Why Not?"

"I guess you're right. Okay. 8 sounds great." Jackie cringed slightly at the sound of the rhyme and hoped Dom didn't pick up on it.

"Ha ha, 8 sounds great." Dom repeated. "The café is called the Blue Flamingo. It's along the waterfront on Viaduct Harbour Ave. You won't miss it. Just ask to be seated at Mr Pitt's table."

"Mr Pitt?" Jackie asked with a curious look.

"What? You don't think I look like him?"

"No. . . . More like Owen Wilson actually." Jackie's face split into a huge smile as Dom playfully dropped his bottom lip in protest at her remark. "I'll see you at 8, now if you don't mind 'Mr Pitt', I really do need to get ready for this appointment."