Chapter 4

Dom walked straight into his fathers study when he got home. Philip Tyrell looked every bit the intimidating tycoon. Piercing Blue eyes that could send chills through your veins when he looked at you a certain way, with dark wavy hair that was combed back from his forehead. Dom had his chiseled facial features. Every Friday afternoon Philip Tyrell made a point of working from his house. He felt this would be more productive than spending hours on the motorway driving home from his office in the city centre.

"Ah Dom, you're back from Sydney already? I thought you were going to stay over the week-end." Philip looked up from behind his desk, over his wire rimmed reading glasses Dom felt like he was in trouble once again.

"The meeting went well and we managed to come to an agreement quickly." Dom replied. "I felt I didn't need to hang around so caught the next available flight home."

"Good, good," Philip responded. His head now back looking at the papers in front of him.

"So, you ready to accept your award tonight?" Dom asked while slipping into the round tub chair in front of his fathers desk. He was trying to think of a way to get invited along to the meeting. "Which award is it that you have been nominated for?"

"The Historical Enhancement Award. It's for that development we did over on Queen Street. I guess they liked the fact that we tried to make it look old."

"It's a shame I couldn't be there now that I am back from Sydney." Dom slouched in the chair in front of his father's desk. "I think it would be an honour to see you up on the stage."

"What do you want Dom?" Philip asked skeptically. "Last time I spoke to you there was nothing more boring than to sit at a table of old codgers, listening to them stroke each others ego's. I think those were the words you used."

"That's not exactly what I said, I think it was a bunch of old buggers actually." Dom sat up in the chair with a smirk, and leaned towards the desk. "I guess being involved in this last acquisition has made me realize the amount of work that goes into making a deal happen, and that Queen Street deal certainly had its' challenges. What with all that protesting that went on, anyone would have thought there was nothing wrong with the original derelict building."

"I'm glad you are starting to see how much work it takes. But that still doesn't tell me why you're groveling."

"I just think that this nomination feels a bit more special and that the family should be there to support you.'

"Well it just so happens that I do have a spare ticket. Gavin couldn't make it in to work today due to illness. His wife said he has his head stuck in a bucket. It would be nice to have you sitting next to me tonight."

Dom felt like he had just won the lottery. His face lit up like the star on top of a Christmas tree, taking his father by surprise.

"Thanks Dad. Don't you think we should be getting ready then?" Dom leapt out of his chair and raced towards the grand mahogany staircase that lead up to the bedrooms. "You don't want to be late."

Philip got the impression it was Dom that didn't want to be late, But he knew it wasn't for the dinner. Philip's mouth curled into a loving smirk as he reminded himself just how confusing his son could be. Philip struggled to understand his son most of the time, and this moment was no exception.

Luke was impeccably on time. Jackie had just finished applying the finishing touches to her hair when she heard the doorbell ring.

"That was perfect timing," Jackie stated as she answered the door.

"Wow. Jackie, you look amazing." Luke replied with an astounding look.

"Thanks. It's not too overdone?" Jackie asked. She had settled on the ankle length halter-neck gown. Delicate burgundy chiffon fell from the diamante-adorned circular neckline. A belt of gathered velvet pulled in her waist, showing off her perfect hour glass figure. A waterfall of chiffon cascaded from under the belt and floated down to her ankles. Jackie didn't want her dress to go to the floor as she had a fear of tripping on her skirt. Her strappy stiletto shoes were silver to match the sparkles around her neck, and her cubic zirconia and sterling silver tennis bracelet. She hoped that one day she would be able to afford a real diamond bracelet. She had matching studs in her ears. She liked the simple look and the silver and white gleam from her jewelry contrasted against her bronzed skin beautifully. She had pulled her hair up into a classic French twist held with diamante hair pins.