Chapter 15

"So how did it go with Philip?" Luke was eager to know all the details when Jackie got back to the office.

"Fine. It was a bit intimidating at first but I think we both have a good understanding of the business requirements going forward." Jackie still felt shaky after the encounter and had been thinking about what she was going to say to Luke all the way back to the branch. "He asked me about your promotion. I had to let him know and I didn't know whether you had told him yet or not."

"That's fine I had spoken to him this morning. Everything else is okay though?"

"Yes. He just wanted to know more about your new job and assure me that he would keep his accounts here in the mean time. Sorry, I hope that's okay?" Jackie knew that Luke would've wanted the accounts to go with him.

"That's fine. Whatever Philip Tyrell wants I'm happy with. I know you will be able to look after him. I can understand why he would want to keep his accounts here."

Panic suddenly filled Jackie as she imagined Philip divulging to Luke all the details of her relationship with Dom. She knew exactly why Philip Tyrell wanted to keep the accounts where they are. It was to either stop Jackie from being able to progress in her career, or to get her to break-up with Dom. "Really? I would have thought he would want to keep them with you?"

"No. He'll make the decision to transfer when he wants to and not feel forced to because I have progressed. He hates change and likes to feel in control of everything."

Including his son's life. Jackie thought. "He also wanted to invite me to the party he's throwing in Dom honor in a couple of months. He told me he had sent you an invite too."

"Yeah he has. Although, I wasn't sure if I would go. That scene can be pretty heavy but if you're going then maybe it won't be so bad. It'll be hard work Jackie."

"If we go together I think I can handle it."

***

Jackie felt exhilarated after the race meeting. The whole experience in the pit lane was an eye opener. The whole team had worked together as if they were morphed into one pulsating brain that had pin-point precision. It was amazing being able to watch how all the different parts of the team worked together to overcome the obstacles that the racetrack threw at them and achieve their best result so far. Dom had driven in three races and once again finished two races in the top 10 with a podium finish in the last race. He was ecstatic and rushed over to Jackie after the last race and almost hurled her over his shoulder as he lifted her up and hugged her in front of the whole crowd. She was euphoric at the thought that this declared to everyone that she was his.

Jackie hadn't revealed to Dom the true conversation that she had with his father yet. She wanted to wait until after the race meeting so that she didn't interfere with the complete and utter concentration that was required when he was racing. She knew he would be wild and waited until they were back at the hotel.

"Dom I need to confess something to you. The meeting with your father didn't go as well as I had told you."

Dom's brows scrunched together in annoyance. "What did he do now?"

"Well, you know how he said he wanted me to be there at the party that he is going to hold for you after the Auckland race."

"Yes."

"He's invited Luke as well. I guess he thinks that if Luke is there I won't be able to be with you, as your girlfriend." Jackie could see the color rising in Dom's cheeks and knew that he was angry. "I'm sorry Dom. I didn't want to spoil your mood but felt that you needed to know."