Chapter 17

Jackie wanted to impress Dom's friends and had spent almost all her savings picking out the perfect dress. Dom had given her a beautiful diamond and tanzanite necklace and earring set. He had told her that he wanted her to have something that would always remind her of him. It was a simple teardrop tanzanite stone of the brightest blue that danced and seemed to emit a slight purplish hue when you turned it in the light. The central stone was surrounded by smaller round cut diamonds, all set in white gold. It hung from a white gold snake chain with links so perfectly aligned that you couldn't even see where each link joined the other. The drop earrings had the same setting as the pendant, but hung from a single solitaire diamond which sat against the earlobe. She planned on wearing them tonight as they will match her dress perfectly.

***

Jackie couldn't seem to stop shaking as she drove with Luke to the Tyrell mansion.

Jackie had chosen a stunning electric-blue shift dress that finished just above her knee and was embroidered with silver sparkling roses and vines that curled around her body highlighting her hourglass figure. She also wore a flared overlay skirt that was open in the front and hung slightly lower than the straight skirt of the dress at the back. It had matching embroidery so that it looked like it was actually sewn into the dress. The ensemble looked like a dress that she had seen on Taylor Swift at the Grammy's. The color matched the color of Dom's eyes when he had just finished making love to her. She had on her silver shoes that she wore to the awards dinner and she looked like she was ready to hit the red carpet.

"It'll be okay Jackie. Are you having second thoughts?"

"No. I know this is what we need to do. I just wish Philip would see how much we love each other and stop this ridiculous vendetta against me."

"I've known Philip for a while now and I do know once he sets his mind on something he doesn't back down."

"And that's what's scaring me." Jackie was looking down at her hands. She had been nervously weaving her fingers together. "What if all this eventually drives Dom and Philip apart. It will kill his mother. I don't want to be the reason the family becomes divided."

"It sounds to me like it's Philip that would divide the family, Not you Jackie. Just wait until we get there and you see Dom. I'm sure it will become clear once you're by his side."

"Thanks for understanding Luke. I really appreciate it."

"No problem Jackie."

As they entered the main foyer of the Tyrell mansion, Jackie felt the knots that had resided in her stomach all day tighten. She clutched Lukes arm as the usher led them outside to the marquee that had been erected for the event. The marquee was the size of a large circus tent and had a pathway leading to the main entrance, made from a black carpet with a broken white line down the centre to look like a road. The inside of the tent had been adorned with white silk wall linings that were draped from the central pole along the roof line to then hang to the floor. There were black Chinese lanterns hanging from the ceiling to provide a soft lighting effect. There were round tables that had black and white check tablecloth to replicate the race winners checkered flag and had gold trophy centre pieces. It looked like it could have been a for a wedding, except Jackie couldn't see a cake anywhere.

"Wow, they have gone all out for this, haven't they?" Jackie exclaimed as she walked through the entranceway.

"It certainly looks like no expense has been spared." Luke replied in awe. "I feel privileged to have been invited."

"I'm sure that's how Philip wants us to feel. Like this life is out of reach for us common people." Jackie sounded scathing and hated herself for it.