[4]

After showing her around the kitchen some, I sat at the counter as I watched Ever prepare the food. She said she was making chicken Marsala; something I had never had before.

"So, James," she called out as she was cutting something. "Tell me about yourself."

"W-why should I?" I asked as I burned my eyes into her back.

"That's what normal people do! They exchange information about themselves so that they can become closer!"

"I'm not all that interested in getting closer to you."

She let out a huff and pouted as she looked back at me.
"You're so mean. Is it so bad that I want to be your friend?"

I looked away from her and groaned.
"I don't want friends, okay?"

After that, she went quiet as she continued the process of making our food. Every now and then she'd let out a sigh as she started something different.
Is she sighing because it's hard work or because of what I said...? It's not like I'm lying though... I don't want any friends... I don't want anything extra in my life.

"Hmm... I think I didn't bring salt. Do you mind if I use some?"

Ever's words brought me out of my thoughts.
"D-do whatever you want..."

She nodded and looked through the cabinets for the salt. She let out a little 'ah-ha' once she found it and continued onto our meal.

"Hmm, do you like mushrooms James?" She asked as she pulled out a large container of them out of one of the grocery bags.

"I don't mind them."

She smiled at me then nudged her head to the side some.
"Then will you come wash these off while I prepare the chicken?"

"D-do I have to?" I asked timidly. I wasn't really desiring to get close to her.

"You do if you want to eat," she said with a smirk.

"I think you've forgotten whose kitchen you're using..."

"Oh, c'mon! The more you help, the quicker our meal will be ready!"

And the quicker that our meal is completed and finished, the quicker you get out...

"Fine," I said as I got up.
I carefully walked over to the where she was, grabbed the mushrooms, and made my way to the sink.

"Thanks bud," Ever said happily.

I thoroughly and quickly did the washing, wanting to get away from her as quickly as possible.
"Here," I said as I put the mushrooms down next to here. I turned to walk away but she quickly stopped me by grabbing my wrist.

"Huh?!" I exclaimed.

She turned to look at me without saying anything. Her eyes looked serious for the first time, making my pulse quicken.
Fucking hell... what's this girl's problem?!
"I saw you trying to scurry away," she said.
She lifted my hand up and looked at me. Her other hand that still had a knife in it lifted up and she placed it in my hand.
"Chop those!"
Her voice was once again bright.

"What?!"

She laughed.
"That was pretty impressive huh? I can get serious," she said cockily.

"D-don't frighten me like that again!" I yelled as I opened up the container.
I huffed as I took out a few mushrooms and started angrily to chop them up.

A soft chuckle left Ever's mouth as she watched this.
"You're adorable."

"W-w-what are you saying?!" I frantically yelled as I looked the other way.